Pixel had an appointment this afternoon for a few reasons. One, to talk about her spay. And Two, to talk about her mange and the wart.
Basically she left it up to me to decide about her spay. She doesn't think that the warts are an immuno-suppressant type of thing, and the mange is pretty well cleared up and should not be an issue. She did say that if there lots of warts, and if her mange wasn't better that it would be a good idea to postpone. I have a week to decide.
On that note I also got a quote for her spay. One quote is for $695.07. Yeah. Can you believe it??? No wonder people don't spay/neuter their pets!!!! The other quote (the basics) is $295.00. I know that Veterinarians need to make money, and I do know that things are expensive but seriously. There is something really, really wrong with a $700 spay. I also know that it doesn't cost nearly that much to do the actual surgery- when I volunteered with the rescue I know what we paid- and it wasn't even close to the second amount!!!! But like I said I understand that we are paying for their services aswell as the stuff.
I spoke to my vet about the benefits of laser surgery (an elective) and she said it was microscopic- generally in large breed dogs, or dogs who are over the age of three it will also help reduce blood loss. In a young dog like Pixel it isn't neccesary or really going to be much difference. Bloodwork also is elective- and not neccesary- and dental xrays??? Pixel has all of her adult teeth coming in on her own thank you.
Anyway- I have decided that Pixel's spay will include IV Fluids as the only elective part and of course the actual surgery, and and all that entails. I am skipping the blood work, the laser, and the dental x-rays! It will bring her spay cost to $357.00 plus taxes. Which is still a pile of money considering she is a small breed dog!!!!
Anyway. The second part of the visit was to get Kendra's opinion on the mange and the wart. She said that her face looks great and by all appearances it does look like it is clearing up. She said to give it one more week to be on the safe side, but after that (providing she doesn't get all itchy again!!!) she will be good to go (and so will everyone else!!!) The wart she isn't worried about at all. It has grown and she said that usually they fall off within a month. They are contagious- but again the information isn't concrete. Most puppies, and young dogs get them at some point in their life- and it doesn't hurt them or cause any problems unless there are so many of them that the dog can't eat properly. Right now Pixel has one.
So- One more week and then hopefully she will be back to normal. I can see a light at the end of the tunnel now and that makes me very, very happy.
I am undecided about the spay. I could put it off for two more weeks- but with my luck she will come into season between now and then. I have the Kim Collins seminar in two weeks so regardless she will probably be unable to go if I postpone it. I do want her to be as healthy as she can be though... Decisions, Decisions.