Friday, November 21, 2008

Outreach


This weekend is the last Outreach seminar with Kim Collins. It has been a pretty neat program- three seminars over the year with pretty intensive instruction and homework in between. We did the first two seminars at the beginning of the year and this will be the last one this year. I am waffling about doing it next year. I have until tomorrow to decide :o)


Kim is a good instructor and has done a lot of training with Susan Garrett. Her teaching style is similar- and those of you who have taken seminars from Susan know what I am getting at. She is very specific as to what steps you take to get the results you want. She can be pushy about her methods but I do think she wants to see her students succeed and is good about problem solving, and she really watches the dog/handler. I got a lot of good information out of the seminars- she really picks apart the exercise, and is good about explaining things. But like I said she can be hard to take. I am not that specific in my training and still use Out as Out, and haven't followed up on teaching Away....I am sure she'll want to see those things.


Wicca also has had the better part of two months off of agility- we are a little rusty. I didn't take her to training this week as last week she was a bit stiff and I really don't want to overdo it. I am going to bring Boone in case I feel like it is too much for Wicca. The week I took Wicca she was a little wild. We'll see how the weekend goes!


I took Vito to the first two novice sessions but it really is not his thing and I am not sure I will take him tomorrow. I have pretty much decided that Vito will not being doing much in the way of agility any time soon. Pixel is too young and we have JUST started some of the baby dog stuff (crate games, perch work, targeting) so she is not ready for a seminar. And Boone doesn't know some of that foundation stuff- he has no idea about crate games...


I am sure the seminar will be great though and will be taking lots of notes, and learning lots!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the one paw on the ground picture!!