Saturday, February 05, 2011

TS- Saturday Sessions

Course Analysis and Can you handle it (or FIG JAM) :)

Another great day today. Lots of really fun courses and exercises.

I worked Wicca in the morning mostly because that is what she and I need. Course Work. Remembering the course with an uber fast dog is still something I struggle with at times. Todays courses were tough- lots of tricky things. We did well though- Wicca had some stellar runs and I got more fine tuning on my threadles. Also worked on some rear crosses. Nothing too new with her- I know her little quirks, and her strong/weak points. We just need to continue to work as a team is all.

Terry had us make a list of five dynamics for our dogs, and ourselves. It was hard, but really makes you think about your dog in a different way. I don't have my notes with me now but here are the ones I remember

Wicca
Bar Knocker
Intense
No regard for her safety
Collection Issues

and for me
Unfocused/Easily Distracted
Easily Overwhelemed (by my dog and by courses)
Memory

The point of the list is to be able to have a starting point of improvement, and to be able to identify little things about your dog that will help you handle a course for you and your dog. Terry is a big fan of thinking outside the box- handling one way isn't going to work for all dogs. So by knowing your dog and you, and your handling style you should be able to easily break down a course or sequence to work for your dog.

The afternoon Pixel worked the most- again lots of serps, threadles, push thru's, and other tricky little things. She was a very good girl- I just can't get over her. She just always does what I tell her. Terry nailed it when he said she is a very literal dog. Meaning she reads my handling very precisely and if I slip up just a bit she notices. LOL. I still need to work on my timing with her a bit, and those darn weaves. Geez.

Tomorrow I am just in one Advanced Handling spot- I will bring both girls again as I think that I will alternate them. Neither of them are overly tired tonite- although Wicca shoudl be!!! We ran 8 full courses this morning (5 actually, but we ran a few of them twice).

No comments: