Friday, February 04, 2011

TS- Friday Session-

Serpentines, Threadles, Push Thrus, and "the Move"

Pixel was super- our first few exercises were great. She had nice speed, and I handled her well. She learned serps and threadles when she was first learning to jump so they are pretty ingrained in her little head. Then I gave her a break and used Wicca and it all went to hell. LOL. Okay, she wasn't that bad, but she certainly managed to get me flustered. And when I get flustered I forget where I am going. I got lost on both drills with her. But we did manage to finish them and do them once correctly. I still need to work on my timing for a threadle. In the exercise it was impossible to be up close the jump, and I was barely able to get ahead of her- she turned in, but then missed the next jump. I needed to hold her head longer to make sure she came all the way into me. Also make sure that I am presenting the right leg to her (i.e stepping into her, but backwards at the same time. lol) I ran Pixel in the last drill and she was again very good. I was so focused on pumping her up however that I forgot the course right away and had to take minute to think about it. I hate it when that happens. After I remembered though she nailed it. She is such a good girl- I have already learned that I am the problem in our working relationship. She's pretty perfect.

Oh, and there was much discussion about the "new move" that has actually been around for a while in europe. There is plenty debate about it of course,  but Terry showed us how he taught it and let people try if they wanted. I chose not to as I think that it wouldn't benefit Pixel and Wicca's cues are finally getting straightened out I don't want to mess with them. I am not a big fan of blind crosses anyway and that is essentially what it is. But it did seem to work for some of the big fast, long strided dogs- and it looks cool. :), And if you aren't sure what the new move is there is youtube video circulating around..But basically the you face the dog and the dog goes behind you over a jump. Like a rally left about turn...(confused yet?!)

Tomorrow is Course Analysis and "Can you Handle it". Both sessions will be great for my memory, and I will have plenty of time to work each girl. I am debating about taking Boone in case the girls peter out. Wicca won't I am sure, but Pixel may...

Terry had a cool quote but I forgot to write it down- I am sure he will repeat himself tomorrow so I will take note. It really made sense to me. Too bad I can't remember it. LOL.

5 comments:

onecollie said...

yes I'm confused :)

Gay Harley said...

Do tell more! Where on youtube? What search term would you use.

Can't wait for that quote, either!

Lovin' the reports!

Debbie said...

I love reading about your training with non-traditional agility dogs as I have two Cavaliers who I am training.

Sarah said...

train to maintain, trial to improve and the winning will take care of itself.

something like that ...


similar to my favourite quote ...
Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally. ~ David Frost

... and the girlies were very good!!!

Gay Harley said...

Is this "The Move"? http://www.daisypeel.com/blog/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-cool-new-move/