Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Kate


Kate was put to rest this afternoon.

I miss her already.

Kate was one of a kind, and will be greatly missed. She was never an easy dog but I loved her so much. Kate spent most of her life as a family dog- on the couch, under our feet, with plenty of walks, summer swims, and camping trips. We did Obedience and Agility but only because I asked her- not because she loved it. She retired early and spent the last 5 years as my parents constant companion.

Kate was a dog that taught me so much. She had many issues as a young dog including intense seperation anxiety. By five years old she had jumped out of windows, chewed through wooden doors, and broken most of her teeth. She was nothing if not determined. Despite her issues, and maybe because of those issues, I loved her like no other. We learned about dog training together, and she helped me become the person I am today.

She aged gracefully and up until a year ago was always the same silly dog. She loved to fetch, and could pop a tennis ball in under a minute. She liked to sleep on her back, and roll around on the bed in the morning. She loved her walks, and would run just for the sake of running. She was a dog that lived in the moment. This past year her age caught up to her I have been keeping a watchful eye on her condition. Just yesterday I had made her final vet appointment for this weekend. This morning I got a call from my parents. As with everything else in her life Kate did this on her own terms.

I thought that because she was an old dog, that it would be easier. Sam was so incredibley difficult, I thought that this would be different. It is different, but still so hard. Carrying her into the vet clinic, and then later giving her the final kiss broke my heart.

I have loved many dogs, and lost only a few, but I don't think it ever gets any easier to lose them. I know that with time my heart will heal- I will never forget her, but thinking of her will be easier. She was a pretty incredible dog, and for now I will cry for her.

21 comments:

Joanna said...

There are no words. I am so sorry.

Taryn said...

What a beautiful tale of her life. I am so sorry for your loss. I know how bad this feels.

katie said...

I'm so very sorry. No matter how long they are with us, it never seems long enough. Kate was a beautiful girl.

oddman said...

I will cry for her too. Hugs, Amanda. You did good.

Andi

WigglyZack said...

So sorry Amanda. I remember when you first got her.

Elayne said...

I'm so sorry, my condolences to you. It's always hard to say goodbye no matter the circumstances.

Crazy Cardiness said...

It never gets any easier, we just love them so much. I am so sorry for your loss. I have a story so similar it brings tears to my eyes today with the memories of 12yrs ago next month. The memories should be kept close and will give you much solace in the years to come.

Diana said...

Im so sorry for your loss of Kate .

Cait said...

I'm so sorry- she sounds like such an incredibly special dog.

(Additional note- please turn off the psychic captcha, because it's CREEPY. mine? "indytoo" (Indy was my Cardigan who we lost in 2008, three years and two weeks ago.)

Ashley said...

Sorry for your loss. It's nice you have beautiful pictures and memories to help you remember her though. It will help.

sandra said...

I know how you feel Amanda. They take a piece of your heart with them. Kate is over the Rainbow Bridge with Maggie May and Miss Abby. She was your teacher and you learned a lot because of her. Take comfort in that.

Shep said...

I am so, so sorry, Amanda...

My heart is always with a GSD, still, the wonderful, weird, quirky beasts that they are. Having lived and loved one like her, I understand -- you can't not love them, and they teach you so much about dogs... it's a gift. :)

She was a beautiful dog, and thank you for sticking by her from beginning to end.

Traci said...

I'm so very sorry! :(

BCxFour said...

My thoughts are with you, I am so very sorry.

Jules said...

I am so sorry for your loss and your parent's loss. (((hug)))

onecollie said...

thanks for sharing Kate's life with us
(((( need a hug?... :))

^..^Corgidogmama said...

She had a blessed life, and much love. You can get some comfort from that. It's so hard....am sharing tears with you.

Dawn said...

A life that lived in love and passed in love. Cant be much more blessed than that. Godspeed Kate. You are loved. Hugs Amanda, she will always reside within. Sorry for your loss and your pain.

Jenny Glen said...

Big girls like her take up a big space in your heart. I feel your pain and I am so sorry.

Muttsandaklutz said...

I'm so sorry for your loss... every dog is so special and will forever hold their own place in our heart.

Nicki said...

Sorry for your loss. It's still hard even when they are old. You will be in our thoughts.