Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The things we do for agility...


For something that really is a tiny part of our lives with our dogs I sure find myself thinking about Agility a lot. Trying to figure out ways to be better, to push myself, and my dogs more. In the whole scheme of things Agility is just a game, a fun weekend away, a night out, a puzzle really.

In any case there are a few things that need to change in my dogs lives that will make them better agility dogs. And really by "them" I mean Pixel. Pixel is a funny dog. She is quick, really quick. Not as fast as Wicca but still fast. Why then does she trot around the course at agility? Well, why should she when she has fun for free, and toys, and playing, and wrestling whenever she wants.

So all the toys are going away in the house. And by all the toys I mean anything that can be perceived as a toy- old bones, boring yard toys, etc. She needs to see value in toys, and wanting to be with me and this is a quick, easy way to do that. She is going to hate it and will be very confused when she discovers that Lambie, Rooster and all her other favorites are not in the toy box. It may even be a little sad...but how excited will she be when she sees lambie at agility next week?

It is something I recommend to students a lot. And have done in the past. It seems pretty mean, but really they do just fine. :)

I will also be enforcing the "no wrestling in the house" rule. Wicca's gonna be mad.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I feel your pain... I live in a basically toy free house myself. They get toys when they are interacting with me. End of story. Somehow, my toy crazy dogs have managed to survive a year of that, and the end result has been some really great training opportunities.

Love the blog; I've been lurking for a long time!

Jen and the Black Dog Crew

onecollie said...

OMG! that is so so mean, mean mean mommy, taking away Lambie!!!, poor Pixel, wanna come live with Auntie ? !!!

Lani said...

It does make a big difference. When we were down to 2 dogs, and Ziggy didn't have a wrestling buddy, he was much more interested in me. Now that we have another playmate for him, I have to work a lot harder to make him think I'm interesting.