Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Early Morning Ramblings..


Pixel has been the easiest dog I've ever owned to train. She is just so smart, and wants to please me (which is where she and Wicca differ the most). Everything I ask Pixel to do she does without question, and with gusto.

She earned her rally title in three straight attempts (although spread out as I don't trial much). She has been to two full agility trials, and one day- and is only one Q away from her Starters Standard title. She is in advanced in everything else, and only one Q away from being in Masters jumpers.

Is the dog a genius? Or just a well trained dog, handled by an experienced handler?

Yes, she is smart and she is a very good dog. But her success is due to her training, and my handling. When she was a puppy I knew what I wanted, and devised a plan to get there. With the exception of her contacts she is exactly where I thought she'd be at this age.

With a different trainer and handler Pixel would be a very different dog. I truly believe that our dogs are what we make them. Yes, there are some dogs that are brilliant despite their owners, but imagine how great those dogs would be with good training!

I think that all dogs have potential to do great things- and that we as owners need to step up our training for our dogs. If I had known then what I know now Wicca would be incredible- not just a fast dog that flings herself around the course. But of course we all need to start somewhere, and with each dog we become better trainers....or so we should hope!

I am looking forward to great things with Pixel. She not only has natural ability, but she has had great training. As long as I continue to do my job, she will do hers.

4 comments:

Crazy Cardiness said...

I agree! But still GO PIXEL!:-)) I love the pic too.

Sarah said...

yep. that seems to be the magical formula ... consistency, experience and a biddable dog :) i wrote a post similar to this when i was starting out with Gyp, funny :) I've always been loud and proud that any dog can accomplish just about anything, it is us who holds them back.

i'm glad you are starting to be proud of what you have and CAN accomplish with your dogs for crying out loud.

I'm glad our little talk last night had a good effect ...

... and I don't need to smack you upside the head :)

though i still might if i feel the need too, so watch out for flying hands.

~Kaly said...

Your Pixel is adorable! But, I'm probably a biased cause she looks so much like my Toby :) It's funny, he is a Pem Corgi/Sheltie mix, but all the time I get asked "How on earth did you get a fluffy cardi with a docked tail?!?" LOL. Seeing Pixel makes me understand how the confusion could take place hehe :)

Kim said...

Pixel has it all: beauty, brains, a caring owner and a great handler. With all that, how can she help but be perfect? :)