Friday, September 24, 2010

Must be the trainer...

So Pixel is two years old and doesn't really understand stay. And Wicca is six, and still has trouble with stay. The boys have an okay stay- Boone's is the best of my dogs, and I didn't teach him...lol...

Must be me eh?

I seriously hate teaching stay. It's so boring. Yes, my dogs know "stay" for practical purposes, but I am talking about Obedience long sits and downs. I admit that I suck at stay, and practice it as little as possible. I have made more of an effort in recent months to teach Pixel- but really am not into it. Apparently I don't have a need for Pixel to get a CD anytime soon!

It's funny, as an instructor I often see people with multiple dogs who end up having the same issues over, and over and over again. You know that when the second (or third) dog has the same problem as the first that it is likely something the handler is doing. I am quick to point this out and generally we try to overcome the crutch. Not so in my own case. Yes, I admit it. But I have not done anything to change it.

So what's the point of my early morning rambling?

There is an Obedience funmatch this weekend that I am contemplating going to. Wicca would have fun, and Pixel could use the ring experience. But maybe we'll skip the stays. lol

5 comments:

Taryn said...

My motivation for teaching stays is so I can set the boys up for pictures :-) I work on a stay almost everyday in one form or another. And I definitely need one for Jimmy's startline!

manymuddypaws said...

They have a stay for that kind of thing, but the long time stays aren't there because i haven't trained them...

Sage said...

I haven't done a very good job with Sage either. She does fair, but not for very long. Maybe this will motivate me!

onecollie said...

maybe this will motivate you.....
Kort has a better stay then your dogs do...na na na na!!! :))

dreameyce said...

I'm so with you! I don't use "stay" often, but I use "wait", which is basically 'stay in place, but you can move around a little' often. I keep thinking about obedience, but brushing up for perfect heels, and stays doesn't appeal to me, when I'd rather go out in a field and run with my dogs in the middle of nowhere!

Someday, I'll really proof obedience stays, and heels... someday ;)