Monday, September 27, 2010

The Story.

Saturday night 9:30-10pm. I go to let the dogs outside for a pee and can`t find Boone.

I walk the front streets calling. And then I called my Dad, Sarah, and Wendy. And then I stopped breathing.

We looked for hours. No Sign, no nothing. Kaleb tracked him for a while, and then lost the trail (or became confused by Boone`s spinning)

I did not sleep. Instead I called the Animal Shelter every two hours.

Sunday. I got up, searched the area. Made posters. Called friends. Called the animal shelter every two hours. Searched again. More. Got a few calls- searched new areas. Searched well after dark. Went home.

Didn`t sleep at All. (called the Animal Shelter instead)

Monday. I worked a few hours in the morning. Well, maybe worked is too strong a word. I was at work pacing by the phone for a few hours while keeping an eye on dogs. And then I rode my bike around town for a few hours, walked the dogs a few hours. Did some calling and emailing for a few hours, and then searched some more.

I made a pretty map with different search areas, and assigned all my awesome friends to an area. And then I got a call (5:15pm).

A woman who thought she had my dog under her van. OMG. I nearly passed out on the spot. I was frantic and not really making sense. Somehow we managed to get there even though I told Jo to go to Scenic, instead of Stafford. Good thing she was just following my directions and not actually listening.

I was so nervous- was it him. would he still be there. what would i do if he ran away from me.

I was out of the van before it was stopped. Calling him. I sat on the ground and as soon as he saw it was me he crawled out and into my lap. I cried. It still makes me teary to think about it. I just held him and told him how wonderful and brave he was.

He tried to bolt away from me so I had Jo bring me a leash. We loaded him in the van and then headed to work where I cut the majority of the burrs out. We gave him water and timbit.

Once home he settled. He is sleeping now in his crate, with an extra bed. I`ve fed him small amounts every few hours and I think he is content now. He is VERY stiff and sore. I`ve given him some Metacam, and will give him a few days before I stress him out with a vet visit. (and a bath!!!)

I know that it is going to take some time for Boone to be okay. I think he will heal physically within a week or so. Mentally not so much. He is nervous dog on a good day. He was forced into survivor mode for 40 hours. I know there will be some work ahead of us to get his mental state back to where it was. But I am confident it will come, and have no problem giving him the time he needs.

I am still in shock really. So hopefully I got all the stuff right. I was going to wait until tomorrow but I know there are some really caring people out there who want to know the story.

Thanks again to all my friends who drove, and walked for hours. And of course thanks to all the positive thoughts and well wishes. I cannot put into words how much your support means to me.

So thank you.

26 comments:

Kellee the Caffeinated said...

So glad he is home!!! I know how scary that can be... Last year my 14 year old mut apparently got out and tried to follow my car down the street without me even knowing... When he got to the end of our street he didn't see me...

He was gone for 3 days in 109 degree weather! We live off of a busy. I put up signs on neon paper everywhere....

When I had pretty much given up hope that he could have survived the busy street and the horrid weather, we found him about 4 miles away just cruisin around in someone's neighborhood like nothing had happened... I stopped the car and he ran over and jumped in like "hi mom, what's up?"....

It was so scary and I am so glad you found your baby!

~The Mama Monster

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just read this. I haven't been online for a few days. How awful for both of you. I'm sure glad that you found him.

Carol said...

So glad you found him!

MurphyDog said...

thank goodness for the kindness of that woman! So glad to hear Boone is back.

I am pretty sure there are some homeopathic rememdies that can help him overcome trauma...just can't remember the names of them. Will try to look them up and let you know

Murphydog's Mom

Kristina Zambrano said...

i was so happy to read Sarah facebook status ... what a great news =0) give him a big hug and lot of belly rubs for me ok!

hugs
kristina

Dianne SS said...

I can't imagine how awful this was for you--I know I would die a thousand deaths if Duffy went missing. I am so happy for you that Boone is home.

Diana said...

Thank goodness. I cried the whole time reading this. I can so relate. Diana

Katrin said...

I am so relieved to hear Boone is home. How very very scary for all involved

Taryn said...

What a relief! I am SO very happy this story had a happy ending!

Chris and Ricky said...

Thank goodness! So glad to hear he is home!

Dawn said...

Boone might surprise you. When I lost Juni a few years ago, she was gone for 3 days. Prior to her terror and escape, she was a very nervous dog, scared of people, storms, cars, you name it. Once she was returned, she was a new girl, not nearly so worried about the world. She settled in and actually started volunteering to meet new people. It was quite frankly an amazing change, totally not what I expected.

K said...

Oh, I'm so glad he's home!

Jules said...

I also cried reading this. I am so happy for you and Boone. Thank doG.

Crazy Cardiness said...

So happy that Boone is home safe and sound! You rest now knowing that all is well!

Judy said...

I think Boone will be fine...he has it all, lots of love from you and his "sibs" and friends. Glad he is ok physically. He's halfway there

penni said...

What a horrible couple of days for you. I am so happy that you found him safe and sound. You can breathe again.

Lauren said...

I am SO glad to hear that Boone's home. One time Lizzie got out at my sister's house in Houston- a huge city where we don't live about 3 blocks from the freeway - and it was terrifying!! She was only missing for a few hours - I can't imagine what it must have been like to have him missing for days.

Elayne said...

So so glad you found him. And if anybody can help him heal it's you.

Two Dogs, One Camera said...

That's so wonderful to hear! I am so glad he is back safe!

Sage said...

What a relief for you and Boone! So glad it ended with such a happy result.

Karen said...

So very glad that this had a happy ending! I know the horrible feeling...

Brittany said...

So happy he is back home and beginning the recovery. I am sure he will bounce back quickly!

Unknown said...

Hi Amanda,

It's Susan - Tucker and Lulu's Mom. My heart sank when I learned Boone was lost.

I don't even want to imagine what was running thru your head. I hope none of us have to go thru what you did. I know you were worried sick.

So I'll just share that I am so happy Boone is home and safe, I know you will give him the love and security he needs right now.

I will go home and hug my tow a little tighter tonight.

Hugs from me to Boone and the rest of the pack.

Susan

Red Dog Mom said...

Been there, done that (TWICE) and know the terror. I'm so glad your Boone made it home.

Dillydoodle said...

Amanda,
I have been following this since i saw the post on C2bc... I have been praying that Boone would come home. You have been living one of my worst nightmares. Your post has me in tears, just so very relieved for you and boone that you have been reunited and that he is now home safely and hope that he heals quickly, both physically and emotionally.
Sending you a HUG. I hope you can finally get some much needed sleep, as you must be completely exhausted and emotionally draned.

Emilie

Elf said...

Oh, no, I go offline for a few days and all this happens--but probably good that I didn't see it because I like probably many of your friends would've been worried sick! And like others, I cried reading this post. I've had a missing dog, and there's almost nothing worse in life. I am so glad he's back. Dang dogs.