Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Photography Challenge.


Last year I joined a group on Flickr called "52 Weeks for Dogs." It is a challenge of sorts- you have to post ONE photo a week of the same dog, for the 52 weeks (a year).

I chose Pixel because she was just a pup and I thought it would be a great way to showcase her growth. The 52 weeks challenge has been great- I've become a better photographer, and have really challenged myself to try new things and think outside the box. I currently have 49 pretty great (and some awesome) photos of Pixel to show for this year! I'm planning on making a BLURB book with the photos of Pixels 52 weeks. It will be cool to look back over the year.

Here is a link to my full 52 weeks set (well it's 49 right now)

I am planning on doing it again in 2010. I just need to decide which dog it will be. Having four very photogenic dogs make it a hard decision. Of course Pixel would be fun again, and the 52 weeks group would be happy to get to see her every week again, but I have to be fair- and really it's getting hard to be creative with Pixel 49 weeks later!

So- I had originally said I was going to do Boone in 2010. He is super cute, and goofy, and does lots of silly things that (hopefully) I will be able to capture on film. But- he is hard to photograph and it will definitely be a test of my skill. I predict that I will have more indoor shots, and less posed shots. Boone is not a dog that enjoys posing for the camera.

This week I thought that I would do Wicca next year. She is so beautiful, and would be the easiest of the dogs. She loves the camera and is a great poser. I can get her to do anything, and go anywhere. And did I mention she is beautiful? She would make me look like a great photographer. :o)

And then someone asked about Vito. He doesn't get as much blog time as everyone else because he doesn't "do stuff" so the 52 weeks would be a good opportunity to get him on the blog more. And he is pretty darn cute.

Decisions, decisions. I have three weeks to decide....any thoughts?

Oh- and if you are interested in photography and would like to join the group check out the 52 Weeks for Dog Flickr Group page. The rules are strict and are enforced. One dog per person. One photo per person. Same dog each week. Simple right? The group is accepting new people, no later than the last week in December. It is really fun, and I've enjoyed getting to know other peoples dogs through their photos. There are some pretty amazing photographers in the group- so it is easy to feel overwhelmed, but there are also a fair amount of novices (like me). I'd recommend it to anyone who is serious about it. I won't lie- it is difficult to come up with something each week, but it is worth it.

I know a few of my blog readers take awesome photos so I really am suggesting this for you! ;o)

12 comments:

Paws on the Run said...

I vote for Boone. But if you do Vito, you have to include his best buddy Lacey in at least one picture! I'm afraid what the picture would be of Wicca and Lacey... ;)

Lindsay said...

That is such an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing!! I just signed up with Flickr so that I can hopefully try this. My vote is for Vito! He seems like such a character that I bet you could get some awesome shots!

Kim said...

I vote for Boone. He has such an awesome personality and it would be great to capture that in photos.

Nicki said...

I vote Vito. Now to decide if this is something I should try...

Maureen said...

I vote for Vito, I think you'd have great fun w/ him.
I would like to do this w/ Esmae but not sure if I have the time/camera for this, what do you think?

Shep said...

See, I have to vote for Wicca! I love her, and would love to see more photos of her - she's beautiful, photogenic, and I'm sure she'd be a subject you could do with interesting backdrops and situations, and she'd handle it with grace.

However, wow, that sounds like such an awesome group. I'm going to have to look into it, for sure. Matter of fact I'll sneak over and look at it right now.

Heather said...

It does sound like a lot of fun, thanks for the idea - and I vote Vito!

Renay Crooker said...

hummm...since I just got a new camera...I might just have to try this too....

dreameyce said...

I didn't hear about this until you'd already started and thought it sounded like fun... I think I'm going to have guts, and do it myself!

Now, to decide between Galaxy, and Sparkles.... Galaxy is easy since she goes to school with me/is with me every day, but Sparks co-owner votes Sparkles, for more pics of her ;)

Elbeepem said...

My vote is for Wicca. Thanks for the info. This sounds like fun!

BCxFour said...

I just joined the group! I am having the same dilemma you are. Which dog?

I vote for Boone. If anything it will help him become more relaxed around the camera. Wicca offers challenge too - with the dark eyes on dark fur. You could have fun with her and lighting.

I guess I was no help huh?

Elf said...

I love Boone, personally. But my question for you is: Do you want to pick a dog with whom you can easily get good photos? Or a dog that challenges you--so that, after a year of photos with that dog, you'd be able to say, heck, I can photograph ANY dog now! :-)

I decided not to sign up partway through the year this last year but I might as well sign up for this year. Would make me concentrate a little harder, I think.