Tuesday, December 08, 2009

frustration

some times agility is frustrating. okay, so a lot of times agility is frustrating. especially when your dog is better than you. i have a truly amazing dog. she is mostly well trained. and she is fast, like really fast. people would kill for a dog like her. and then there is me, who mostly just fumbles around pointing at stuff.

tonite was mostly frustration, but first (to make myself feel better) lets talk about the good stuff.

We did some nice rear crosses (although they weren't technically supposed to be done with the exercise) but I was happy with how tight they were, and how I handled them. (i.e I was in the right spot, driving for the right jump standard, and wasn't pointing)

Sartlines- she didn't move or change positions once.

Contacts- her dogwalk was awesome tonite, no creeping, and only a little curling.

Gambling- we did a fun gamble tonite that required Wicca to ignore the tunnel underneath the dogwalk and instead take the far out jump. She didn't flick to the tunnel which is amazing (wicca's theory is that if the tunnel is under the contact it must be taken)

and here comes the frustration part.....

I hate being rushed. I felt rushed on the stupid double box thing. When I did it with front crosses it felt awful, my timing sucked a$$ therefore my dog had no freakin' idea where she was going. ugh. and I didn't have time to do it right, which just ticks me off. and with three feet of snow outside it's not like I can set it up in my backyard.

weave poles. my dog cannot collect for weave poles. there, I said it. She missed probably 6 entries out of 8 tonite. that is a bad average. she couldn't get it with no motion from me, and she certainly couldn't get it if I was moving. sigh. it is such a struggle with her sometimes. she is in such a hurry she will not sit back and put in the extra stride to get the entry. it drives me crazy. and because I hate weave repetitions it is a really hard thing to fix (because I don't like her to weave) The answer is to go back and do more three poles, which is much better than doing 6 over, and over, and over again. But still it makes me worry to weave her often anymore. but without training it is not going to magically fix itself.

my handling left a lot to be desired. how hard is it to do a freakin' arm change? not hard at all, unless you are me. I could not get my arm change done at the right time so my dog could switch leads and get in the poles. combine that with the fact that she wasn't even really trying to get in the poles left me feeling very frustrated tonite.

hence my rant. I just keep repeating in my head that agility is supposed to be fun. tonite was not particularily fun.

this week we have league on thursday, a fun and fast little jumpers course. I initially was only going to bring Boone, but after tonite I will be bringing Wicca aswell. We obviously need the work.

update:

so i am feeling better this morning, I have a very good dog. Mostly, it is me. :o) If I would have taught her collection when I first started training her we wouldn't have any of these problems. Wicca doesn't understand how to collect properly and when the angle is rough, or if it is an "open" entry she has a hard time getting her body to do what she wants. we will go back and work on three poles for the next while and see what we can do to fix this....

7 comments:

Sarah said...

don't be so hard on yourself. you've done things right with her, and yes she is fast, very fast, but SHE is the one who chooses (alot of the time) not to be responsive to you, sometimes her steering wheel gets stuck straight and a brick gets put on the gas pedal. speed can kill if the brakes don't work ...

your rear crosses are generally good because you put Wicca in the drivers seat, and you can get away with more, the exersize with FCs is to put you out of your comfort zone and challenge people, and have them succeed - which everyone did, i'm going to set up next week again ... so everyone can get more practice with it. maybe a whole night of double box LOL

i can tell the difference in my guys too, not being able to be on equipment a few times a week even if just for 15 minutes :)

take a deep breath and tighten your laces for Thursday ... you'll rock that course.

Diana said...

I think sometimes you just have to chuck it up to an off night. I bet the next time you go out and practice everything will mesh. Diana

Dawn said...

What about working the 2x2 weave entries. I admit I am a bad trainer, I dont get it, therefore how will poor Magic get it from me, but even with that, just doing a little 2x2 work and his entries were sort of getting better. We built a few PVC 2x2's for really cheap) and they are small enough to do in the house.

Natasha said...

I've had times like that too, where I was SO frustrated with myself for being a sloppy handler. It sucks. Haha -- Your handling is better than mine, though! Maybe it doesn't make you feel better, but still :)

Have fun at the league, and hope you don't feel as frustrated then!

~Nat

Taryn said...

I feel your pain too! I had one of those nights last night as well! Jimmy is also SUPER fast, and things can go south fast....and once he is whipped into an agility frenzy, you can't get through to him. Some nights are amazing, and some are like last night....You just have to let it go....

Papillon Penny said...

Hey, don't forget, some of us look up to you as a trainer we ask for advice - don't be so hard on yourself! Focus on the positives!

Loretta Mueller said...

We all have off nights :) When we get taken out of our comfort zone, perfection isn't going to happen :) And that is OK, we are learning. So just embrace it, give her lots of screw up cookies and march on :)