Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Looking back on 2009, and Looking Forward to 2010

Only a few days left of the year. It seems amazing to me that so much time has just flown by.

Looking back....

I did a post about trial results for the year a month or so ago- right after our last trial of the year. I won't go into the same detail as I did then...but we did have a pretty decent year. Wicca and I have improved so much it is pretty amazing to look back at what a mess we were, and how far we've come. We did 6.5 trials last year, which isn't that many (we missed a few due to injuries)- and we have 19 Q's to show for it...Only one of those Q's was in jumpers. :o) We are only a few Q's from that elusive AtCh now.

Boone had an amazing year (17 Q's) and is just doing so well. He almost caught up to Wicca in less than a year. Serious. This dog has great talent.

I changed Wicca's A-frame from a 2on2off to a running with moderate success. It is not a true running but I am feeling better about it compared to the jarring stop...I actually used to hold my breath.

The seminars I attended were awesome. I learned things at every single one of them. Part of the frustration of living in a small city is that there is no where for Sarah and I to go take classes. We are it. So seminars are a HUGE part of our learning, and we try to get to as many as we can. I owe Terry, and Kim SO much for my successes this past year with my dogs.

Nationals were amazing. I still get goosebumps if I think about it too much. We placed 2nd. At Nationals. Seriously amazing. I don't think anything will ever top that.

Both Wicca and Boone earned their Rally Novice titles, and Wicca earned her Rally Advanced. Both dogs had high scores (a few 100's) and some High in Classes as well. Wicca is SO close to Qualifying in the open ring. I can almost taste it.

The one year anniversary of Sam's death came and went. I cried. But am okay.

Pixels one year anniversary of arrival and it is like she has always been here. She is the sweetest dog on the planet and I just love her to bits. She is soft, and squishy, and just so damn cute. She is SO smart, and willing, and just wants to have fun. I am so lucky to have her.

Looking ahead

I am not going to do a list of resolutions...I am way too much of a procrastinator for that..instead I am going to list things that I hope to achieve, or attempt.

2010 is going to be a busy year. I've done up a Calendar on the side of my blog to help me keep things in order and in my memory.

I REALLY want to try tracking with my dogs. Wicca is going to need a retirement job (sooner rather than later) and both her and Pixel have great noses.

Wicca and I have been invited to play Scenthurdle on a Calgary team. I am looking forward to it. Wicca will be SO excited.

Wicca is going to earn her CDX. We are so close. I think she can do it, and have a few trials picked out to attend. I also am going to finish her Rally Excellent title.

I would like to say that Wicca will earn her AtCh but I am not sure at this point that will happen. (that's a whole other post) but I put it down because it is a goal of ours...and well, it makes me happy to see it written here.

Boone is going to earn his Rally Excellent title, and earn his MAD in agility.

I am entering Boone at Regionals. I think he will be ready. He's not the fastest dog around but if I handle him right he will do pretty well. Nationals are almost local, and how cool would it be to run him there. (providing there are no guns, big trucks, or airplanes flying overhead that is)

Pixel is going to earn her CD, and maybe a few Rally Titles. I also would like to travel to the US for a few shows this summer to earn some AKC titles.

Pixel is going to start trialing in Agility in the Spring. She is doing SO well, but I really don't want to push it. I won't be entering her until I know she is ready.

The Canadian Cardigan National Specialty is something I have been looking forward to. I hope to get Pixel's CD there, and finish Wicca's rally title. Also will have both girls running in agility (hopefully.)

Vito may make it into the agility ring yet. He may make an appearance at our local trial this summer. Slowly but surely he is coming along. He's actually quite a speedy little bugger when he wants to be.

On the personal front, well there's not much to improve upon when you're perfect. :o)
Seriously though, I am mostly pretty happy with how things are going and progressing.

In a few months I will have complete independence. Which is exciting to think about.

I have been steadily losing weight (well, until Christmas came around). I am not actively trying to lose weight, although just by eating healthier it seems to be working pretty well. Boone and Pixel make me work MUCH harder than Wicca (who is mostly self propelled) With the weight loss I have been able to run faster and handle better.

And, I think I have been mostly very nice this past year and hope to continue my less bitchy way of life. :o)

And that's that. Mostly I want to continue to enjoy my dogs every day. I am very lucky to have such great dogs.

Oh- and my only Goal for 2009 was to succesfully handle a Threadle on course. And I totally did. Yay for me.

8 comments:

Dawn said...

That is a dig list for 2010, but I am sure you will do it all in style. Congrats on the 2009 threadle goal too.

Lynda said...

you had an amazing year! Wicca and you are one of my favourite teams to watch.
The dogs truely help us stay grounded and get us through the darkest hours by giving us the light to carry on.

Heres to another amazing year!!!
Happy New Year Amanda.

Dawn said...

By the way, I love the new header photo with Pixel and Wicca and the penguin. True Cardis at play.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Your new blog look is really great!
Sounds as if you have some good goals for yourself, and your dogs for the new year. Don't forget to go outside, and see the blue moon on N. Y. eve!

Kim said...

You had an awesome year! It looks like you have another busy year planned.

One of my 2010 goals for Maggie is to do some tracking. ( I don't know if her body is going to hold out for too much agility.) We can lay tracks for each other.

Muttsandaklutz said...

What a great year for you and all your dogs. Always neat to look back on things and look forward to what's next.

All the best to you and your muddy pawed gang for a healthy, fun, and successful 2010.

oddman said...

An awesome year for you, Amanda, and I'm so proud and pleased for you! Those are great goals for 2010 - you know, writing it down makes it more attainable - you can do it. I would love to do some more tracking, perhaps we need to get a group together now and then and go glove hunting.

All the best in 2010!

Andi

Sarah said...

looks like some good goals, 2009 was a great year, 2010 is gonna be even better!!!! i can't wait to see pixel in the ring!