Saturday, October 16, 2010

Never Give Up...


Never Give Up..., originally uploaded by manymuddypaws.

One of the things I love about Pixel is her determination. Even in a simple game of tug she gives it all 100%. Dogs can sure teach us a lot if we let them.

I found myself frustrated with both of them today. We went to a new training building, and while I expected them to be a bit distracted I was dissapointed in just how badly they behaved.

Wicca was really distracted, which is not like her at all. She missed the retrieve for doG's sake. That is not like her at all. I wonder if the stress of the stays, which she knows is coming is affecting the rest of her routine. I m just at a loss as to what to do. She broke her sit stay as soon as I walked out the door, so I went back in and put her back. She stayed for the rest. I know that really all it is is practice, practice, practice. But frankly, I am sick of the frustration.

The dog trainer in me doesn't want to give up but I wonder how fair it is to my dog, and our relationship. It's not like I am giving her major corrections for going down, or moving. But she knows that she is wrong and gets sulky about it. Wicca and I have been down this path already, and it took a very LONG time to make Obedience fun again.

Pixel was also super distracted, and was very sloppy. I didn't feel that she was paying much attention even though she was looking up at me the whole time. It was like we were disjointed or something. With her I think it is the lack of reward and talking. She needs it broken down a bit more before we piece it all together. Because she is a young dog I expect her to be distracted and a little weird in new places. As she gets more experience she will get better and better.

I am still planning on entering them both in Lethbridge. But I did change Wicca's entry to Reddeer from Open to Rally. I have to go to reddeer to scenthurdle race, and had entered obedience just to have something to do there. But after today I think I am pushing her too much too soon. I felt better the second I sent the email to change the entry! And that says a lot.

So not giving up yet, but just a slight change of plans.

8 comments:

Krystal said...

What is your recipe for your amazing photos?

manymuddypaws said...

lol if only it were that easy!

practice, practice, practice, and a good eye. oh, and a decent camera.

it helps that my dogs are ultra cute, and easy to take photos of (well, except boone who is a challenge to say the least)

onecollie said...

sorry to hear that it didn't go so well, wish I could have come too, next time!
What if next practice we do the sit & down first???, just a thought

Taryn said...

I can certainly understand your frustration....Jimmy still won't give me a decent table even with the recent rule change to a positionless table. I am not going to give up either!

Kim said...

I read somewhere where a dog was taught stays by placing a cookie behind the dog and then he was released to the cookie. This gave the dog something to think about and focus on instead of focusing on the handler going away. Maybe something like this would work with Wicca?

Judy said...

I think you are being too hard on yourself by focusing on what they did wrong. Wicca did a lovely 3 min Down, good Drop, Heeling that would have passed. Pixel was a bit distracted but wasn't a disaster by any means. Maybe you need to break it down a bit more and like Jolene says, change the routine,... and maybe reward more.

Anonymous said...

i know that there were some good points. but i do expect more from them- especially wicca. her heeling is better than "passable."

I am going to lay off for a bit, and just do small bits, with random rewards and not alot of chatter. that's the plan anyway!!

me :)

andrea said...

small bits with lots of rewards sounds like a good reciepe in itself

look for the shades of grey and things to celebrate too :)
not to sound like pollyanna but you are doing lots of great stuff with your gang!!