Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cardigans in Agility

Recently on a few blogs I read there has been some discussion about Cardigan size, and athleticism. I thought I'd chime in on the subject.

I love my dogs. They love agility (if they didn't I wouldn't make them play). I keep my dogs fit, and in shape. Are they structurally built for agility? No. But they play to the best of their abilities and I am realistic about their abilities.

But. Like I said my dogs are fit. And in shape. (yes, those are two different things.)
They are small for their breed- Pixel at 24lbs and Wicca at 28lbs. They are not 50lb Cardigans (they do exist, just look in your nearest conformation ring). My dogs have muscle, not fat. (well, wicca might have a little fat). My dogs are also small- not just thin. They have light bone, and are not clunky dogs. What I am trying to say is that there is a right way and wrong way to play agility with a corgi. The right way is to have a smaller dog, kept lean, and in shape. Part of being in shape means regular exercise. Not going to class once a week and trials on a weekend. Every day full out running- as fast as they can go. That is staying in shape. And that is what my dogs get every day.

I think that there are a lot of dogs who play agility (not just corgis) who really shouldn't be. Either by being too fat, or out of shape, or just structurally not sound enough to do what the owner is asking. On the other hand, I don't think it is fair to deny the dog something they love just because you are worried about the what ifs. But you need to take precautions- warming up, cooling down, fitness games, exercises to build strength, physio, supplements. All of that will help to keep any dog (even a less than ideal agility candidate) fit and healthy. I think that the key to doing agility with a dog that may not be best suited is to train as safe as you can, teach the dog to do their job, handle your dog!, and above all else keep your dog in shape. Sounds simple eh?

Vito is long, really long, and is kind of noodle like. He has a horrible front, and a narrow rear. He is not built for agility. We putter, but that is all. He doesn't LOVE agility which makes it an easy decision. :)

Wicca is an incredilble agility dog- she gives it all every single time. She is only six years old and has had numerous injuries, she also will be retired at a young age. She is not built well, even for a Cardigan. With a weak topline (just a tad roached!) and a bad front...Most of her injuries are due to her not understanding her job, and my bad handling. All the late cues I used to give, and asking her to stop on the aframe contact, not teaching her to collect into poles- all play a part in the injuries...

Sam had the makings of a great agility dog- until a disc problem cut his life short. He was a dog that again was just not put together well. A major, very visible roach in his back should have been an idication of a problem. I don't know for sure that agility was the cause but I don't think it helped. I actually think it was leaping off the stairs and into the neighbors fence is what did it...

And Pixel. She is built well. She has a nice front, lots of power, but light on her feet. A solid topline, and a small frame. Oh, and good training. This dog should last a long time in agility.

Will my next agility dog be a Cardigan? No. I love the breed. A lot. But I am realistic and know that it is not the best choice for agility. Also, I like to try new things. :)

anyway, just as an example of two dogs who love what they do, and who do it two very different ways..

Wicca


Pixel


I am off my soapbox now... :)

4 comments:

Taryn said...

If I had found agility before I found Cardigans, I probably never would have had the pleasure of this wonderful breed. They are definitely not the best choice for agility. The heart can certainly be in it, but the build will never be ideal. That being said, if one decides to do agility w/ a Cardi, then I truly believe it is their responsibility, first and foremost, to keep their dog as slim and as conditioned as possible. I strive for that on a daily basis with as much exercise as I can fit in. It's good for them and it's good for me!

Elbeepem said...

This is no different than the consideration and preparation that it takes for a human to train for any endurance event. If you're carrying too much weight and attempting to run a marathon by training one day a week, it just isn't going to happen and you create undue health risks for yourself when you attempt to train this way.

And, there are certainly those builds and body types that lend themselves to various different events. Certainly there are those people who are large boned and carry a lot of weight that do participate in distance running. But is sure is a lot easier being a relatively slender, small boned individual. That said, am I built for wrestling...NOT!

Why should it be any different for a dog? It is important to consider what the individual brings to the party and proper training and preparation, given the event at hand. Well said!

Nicki said...

Good post. The corgi's can be so fast and have so much drive they make great agility dogs, conversely they are prone to back problems so you really do need to find a balance of fun and safety!

Gay Harley said...

OMGosh I can’t get this post out of my head. I’ve been thinking about it for 2 weeks and thinking why is it bugging me so much and finally just HAD to write!

I’d love to follow you through your thought process of getting another breed. I am in a similar position in that my first agility dog was a big bc/gsd mix. I am loving running my cardigan, but I think I like running one tall and one short dog. They are such different experiences that I know I’ll always want a big dog in my life and on the agility field.

That said, I think I will always want a Cardi in my life too. Based on the ones I know in agility, I think they are an awesome agility breed.

I only know of 5 in AAC and they are all top dogs in their region (Pixel, Wicca, Paikea, Nelly, and Abby-retired). When Sandie E was running 2 in NS, both would regularly finish with the 2 fastest times in jumpers courses OF ALL BREEDS (bc’s included). My own P, finished with more than 525 points (non-vet points), and would have won her division if we weren’t in the same division as the top overall dog. I only say that cause you can’t get so many points without being considerably under time.

That said, Sandie’s dogs are 30 and 22 lbs. Paikea is 28 lbs. And as you said your dogs are small too. So there is a quality and a type of Cardi, but does that make them any different than other breeds? There are top Goldens and there are show Goldens that I wouldn’t want to see near equipment. There are fat labs and there are world quality labs. Most Pugs couldn’t waddle over jump one of an agility course and yet some Pugs are the kickass breed in their division. Unless you’re talking Sheltie, I don’t see a breed that is uniformly suited for agility (and I’m including Tervs and BCs in that).

Cardigans run like stink, give their all, learn incredibly quickly and will work til they drop. I’m like you in liking to try different things and as I say, my next dog will likely not be a Cardi (but the next one after that will be!). I think it’s cool that you’ll be trying new things! I’m just stuck on you (and others) saying they’re not the best breed for agility ... :-(