Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Foster Dog

Missy has been with me off and on for more than 6 months. Crazy eh?
Anyway, she isn't even officially available at this point due to her weird allergy/OCD issues. If given the chance she will lick/chew herself raw. She had holes in her thigh and legs so deep that the vet wasn't sure if the hair would ever grow back. Thankfully, they are finally healing. But only because she wears a cone 23 hours a day. No kidding. She has it off for walks only, or if I can focus completely on her. It is a pain in the ass...well, leg really. The backs of my legs are all scratched up from that stupid cone.

Aside from the cone we are managing her itching with diet, and prednisone. Because the cone limits her access to her body she has now moved on to her face. She has been licking her lips- often when she is bored, or tired. I have no idea how to prevent her from doing that so I just try and keep her mind busy, or too exhausted to lick...

Don't get me wrong- she is still a happy, playful little dog. She has totally settled into a routine at my house and is perfect with my dogs, and the cat. She is really easy to have around. Her two favorite things are toys, and walks. Imagine her happiness when we combine the two???!!!

The toy serves a few purposes-

1) it keeps her busy and completely non reactive the whole walk.


2) she then wears off all her energy in a 15 minute fetch session at the park


3) she carries her own icky, slobbery toy home.


it's only a few blocks home but I am always amazed that she carries it the whole way- even when she stops to pee every block. She's a tad compulsive....


Hopefully the itching will subside soon, and she will be well enough for adoption. I don't mind her at all, but she really deserves a home to call her own.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Jane does that - well used too - she has carried a toy for a 30 minute walk a few times - won;t even drop it too pee!!

Terriers are the best.

I hope Missy can find a home of her own once her allergies are controlled

WigglyZack said...

I hope she gets better soon. She is so cute and deserves a good home.