Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sigh.

Yesterday I got a call from Animal Control- apparently someone filed a complaint that my dogs are barking during the day. Which is interesting because all of last week I brought everyone to work with me, and yesterday was the first time I left Wicca/Boone. They had frozen kongs. The windows were shut, and the radio turned up loud (to drown out any neighbor noise). Oh, and my dad went over at noon and let them out. I got the call around 1:30 or so.

I am pretty annoyed, but will take responsibility for my barking dogs. I went to the shelter and paid my overdue license fees and to talk to the AC Officer in hopes she could tell me more about the actual complaint. I have my suspicions about who made the complaint but of course she couldn't tell me. She is going to call in a few days when the actual paperwork comes in. I was very polite and did my best to be friendly and not be pissed off. I did ask if there was a certain length of time the dog had to be barking for or if just anyone can complain with no proof. Apparently anyone can make a complaint even if it is for just a few barks. I resisted the urge to say that it wasn't fair.

Anyway- the dogs now come with me everywhere, which makes for extra boring days for them. At least at home they can wander around. At work they are in crates. It also makes going anywhere difficult as I am afraid to leave them home alone. I teach four nights a week right now so yeah. It's going to be fun. Oh, and our weather is amazing and I'd love to be able to sit in my backyard and let the dogs play....but I can't.

It's hard not to be annoyed and a little grumpy about it. But I will do what I can to minimize the barking. I do not need a $200 fine every time my dogs open their mouths.....

8 comments:

Elayne said...

Hmmm, if I somehow had $200 for every time Lola barked...

2Elkies said...

Oh Amanda, don't some people just drive you nuts!!!
I feel SO bad for you. You did so well to be polite and hold your tongue. I don't think I could have been so nice.

Karma.

Papillon Penny said...

We just went through this last year... At least my neighbors had the decency to move!

Shep said...

Wow... around here the dogs have to be barking for 15 minutes straight before you can even file a complaint.

That's ridiculous - I'd get a fine if my dogs barked for five minutes in the house, or barked when we went out to play ball. Simon barks happily every time I throw the ball -- I'd be furious if someone put in a barking complaint during normal weekday hours.

I'd also start documenting the days the dogs go to work with you. I've seen it so many times where a responsible owner gets blamed because those are the dogs people see on lead or going to your car, so they assume it is your dogs barking.

Best of luck though... man, I'd be ticked.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Totally ridiculous. You don't need this kind of strife. You're a wonderful and responsible dog owner...it's the neighbor who is the problem, grrrr!

Taryn said...

That does suck! It sounds like the barking laws are a bit too stringent. It also sounds like you have a neighbor with a grudge?

My dogs bark at every twig that snaps, every leaf that falls, any passers-by, and just plain enthusiasm. Sure glad I don't live if your neighborhood! I'd be broke!

Nicki said...

That sucks.

MannaB said...

Have you thought about getting a petsitter during the days you work? Maybe that would help? If I lived by you I would do it practically for free (because of my love for dogs).