Monday, April 19, 2010

First Trial Jitters


Where's the fun..., originally uploaded by manymuddypaws.

Pixel is entered in her first agility trial this weekend.

It's pretty crazy to think about actually. I still think of her as a puppy with so much learning to do yet.

I am not one of those people who must trial their dog at 18 months old and push and push and push so that the dog is ready to trial by then. I actually couldn't even tell you how old Pixel is exactly. Her birthday is in July...so whatever that makes her! I am also not one of those people that will trial their dog before the dog is ready. I want my dog to understand her job before she attempts to do it in a new place, on new equipment with little reinforcement from me.

She has been coming to trial with me since she was a baby and is very used to the hustle and noise of that environment. She also has a very good understanding of my handling, and of her own body. She is a good jumper (for the most part) and her confidence is getting better and better. She is not perfect by any means, and I really don't know what I will get on our first run. She could surprise me and tell me that she isn't ready after all. And that will be okay.

I think that Pixel is ready for what I have her entered in. Jumpers is the easy one. She understands my handling, she is a decent jumper, and she has the maturity to handle the "stress" of the trial. Snooker is an opportunity to get her on contacts, and maybe even the weaves. It will depend on the layout of the course as to what I do with her. And that's it. Two classes which will give me an idea of what she is going to be like at a trial, and to show me if there are any holes in my training I need to be spending more time on.

It will be fun, and I am excited. But also a tad bit nervous. I've got all week to obsess about it. :o)

9 comments:

Taryn said...

Oh, it sounds like fun! Be sure to savor it, as there is only one FIRST trial!
My fear with Jimmy was that he'd go flying out of the ring to be fun-police to whatever dog was on a nearby practice jump or running by too close to the ring. It never even entered his mind, thank goodness!

Good Luck!! I look forward to your report.

Dawn said...

Good luck, I am sure you will have fun, and do wonderfully.

Sarah said...

she'll do great, i 'll bring a barf bag for YOU!

Lani said...

Good luck! It sounds like the 2 of you are well-prepared for the trial. I look forward to hearing how it goes!

penni said...

I know Pixel will be wonderful -- you may need tranquilizers.

Holly said...

Good luck - HAVE FUN - and you both will do fine!

WigglyZack said...

You will both do great. Good luck and have fun.

Nicki said...

Good luck, I'm sure it will be fun!

Crazy Cardiness said...

Good luck to both of you! Go Pixel!!!!