Friday, April 30, 2010

It hurts...

so I have a bad tooth. I got a partial root canal almost a year ago, and never got around to going in and getting it filled or a crown put on it. (is anyone really surprised?) Anyway, it has been causing me a lot of pain. Usually for a week or two, and then it settles down. Except for this time.

This time it has been incredibly awful. I'm taking more advil than is good for me, just to keep it down to a dull throb. It has been waking me up in the middle of the night, I actually set my alarm for a few weeks so I'd wake up before the pain started and take more advil. I even got my pharmacist friend (who can prescribe now) to prescribe me some penicillin...

I finally relented the other day and went back to the dentist. He cleaned it out, did some weird filing thing, packed it full of medicine and put a temporary filling over it...I also have even more penicillin to take.

It hurts more than ever now. Advil isn't helping much at all, and I can hardly talk at times. Work is painful (how can you keep a crowd of 30+ dogs playing well if you can't tell them to be quiet, or stop humping.... :o) ). My good old stand-by trick of drinking water, lots of water...doesn't work anymore because the coolness can't get to the tooth because of the filling.

I am really hoping that the pain goes away soon. The dentist said it may take a few days or even a week. On the plus side it's a pretty good diet plan...eating is difficult at best and I have to avoid extreme temperatures...

Thanks for listening to me complain. My tooth has stopped hurting briefly. I might even try to eat some yogurt or something...


oh, and vito wants to tell everyone that I lied, and he's in a perfectly fine mood....

5 comments:

Joanna said...

Oh, ow ow ow ow!

I've been there and it's horrible. SO sorry.

The weird filing is them cleaning out each root. That's why it hurts so much; the dead nerve tissue had to be scratched out of there and it KILLS afterward if the tooth was infected.

From bitter experience (the tooth thing I had hurt worse than my births, and I mean that), I am sorry from the bottom of my heart.

Maureen said...

oh, that so sucks that you are in so much pain.
I hope you get some releif soon!

Kim said...

I hate tooth pain! I've had one tooth that took 3 different attempts at a root canal, I got so tired of the pain I just had them pull the tooth. I still have phantom pain!

Diana said...

Thats horrible. Didnt they give you real pain killers? You need it. I hope it gets better. Diana

Elf said...

I've never heard of a partial root canal. Why wasn't it finished? If the dentist didn't fix it, why not go to another one? Why did you let this go so long? I have so many questions prompted by your great pain, I couldn't stand something like that for even a weekend, let alone week after week!

I agree that if the pain is that bad, they should be offering you real painkillers to ease the pain while it supposedly gets better.