Thursday, April 08, 2010

Acting Out


Boone has been naughty these past few weeks, and not just a little naughty, but a lot naughty. I don't know what the cause is, but I do have some suspicions. He has been getting progressively weirder over the last few weeks and doing things that he hasn't done in a LONG time... First, let me tell you what he's doing.

He is barking. A Lot. When I am not home especially. I got a complaint again this morning from my neighbor. I am annoyed. I've been leaving him and Wicca loose during the day which eliminated the barking/spinning in the crate. They get a stuffed kong when I leave and I hide random treats/kibble around the house. My neighbor said that it sounded like one of the dogs was screaming. Which was probably Boone if Wicca was trying to steal his kong. Sigh.

So my wonderful father went to get them to bring them to me at work. Instead of just running out the door when my dad called them Boone ran back to his crate. Now, my dad is not a dog person, and didn't always get along with Boone (when i first got Boone he bit him) but they haven't had a problem at all since then....until this morning. This is not the first time my dad has gone to get them from my house and brought them to me so I am not sure what the issue was but Boone almost bit him. My dad is pissed and doesn't want anything to do with him now. Boone arrived at work a quivering mass of nervousness. From what my dad said Boone ran into the crate and wouldn't come out even for a cookie so my dad turned to walk away and Boone rushed out to bite him on the leg. I am sure my dad yelled and/or kicked out at him hence the nervousness when he got here...

I am annoyed that Boone was barking in the first place. It should be mentioned that he wears a citronella collar for that reason. Apparently he doesn't care much anymore about it. One option is to try an electric collar although I have a feeling that he will freak out and either a)bark louder b)melt into a pile of nervous pyr shep. So yeah. Not really an option. Must figure out what to do about the barking.

I am annoyed that Boone and my dad are again at odds now. My dad won't easily forgive Boone which will make things difficult. And I am not sure why Boone is reacting that way to him. When I am around he loves my dad and often will sit near him and jump up for petting.

He has also taken to spinning in his crate again- even when I put him in there to eat, or whatever. And he is spooking again at loud noises. We walk one of three routes every day and he acts like he's never been those particular ways before. Startling at traffic, gawking around, and acting nervous.

He is frustrating me, and that is part of the problem. He is very sensitive to moods and body language. So when I am annoyed at him he acts even weirder. We both need to chill out apparently!

My plan is to

a) take him new and old places again. one new place or route a day.
b) collar game review with me, and with "friends". I think that is part of the reason he snarked at my dad was he probably tried to grab him (although he is not admitting it)
c) bring him to work every day. frequent rewards for quiet and calm behavior in the crate.
d) more obedience work. I've been slacking on the obedience department with all of the dogs, not just him
e) more exercise...I already walk them on leash every day, but can't always get out for an off leash run. Will have to find a way to increase his exercise.
f) find a new place to live............
g) new food puzzle toy for crate only. he loves food and will work at a kong forever. keeping him busy in the crate is half the battle.

Hopefully these things in part or in whole will help. I am open to other suggestions though!

Oh, and i should remind you all that he is one of the most normal Pyr Sheps around. The Pyr Shep people think there is nothing wrong with him...I can't expect him to be "normal" but I do expect him to listen, and to be able to handle real life...

8 comments:

Lynda said...

Hi Amanda
May I make a suggestion? I would think about getting his thyroid checked.
It can cause all sorts of weird behavior problems and if you can afford it send it down to Dr.Jean Dodds. the skin, coat, weight gain does not have to be symontoms, Cavall never had those and his thyroid was low.

Here is a website with a list of articles that Dr. Dodds put out and some of them are on the behaviour changes a dysfunctional thyroid causes.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/Thyroid.htm

Kim said...

I was going to suggest getting his thyroid checked too but Lynda beat me to it :)
on Jean Dodds site she mentions that by the time the physical symptoms of thyroid disease show up (weight gain, hair loss, etc) the thyroid has already lost 70% of it's function. Behaviour symptoms like you describe in Boone usually appear long before any physical signs. Something to consider anyway

Crazy Cardiness said...

Boone is the one that "bred" the rescue dog, yes? Do you usually have intact dogs? I have noticed when I bring a new dog (especially those intact), my dogs all start a power struggle that must be put in order quickly before mass chaos ensues. So the bitch in season would be my theory unless that is normal for you at home.

manymuddypaws said...

Amy- I don't have any intact dogs anymore, although Pixel went through a season and they were fine with her. Also Boone is the low man on totem pole so to speak. So generally is happy to have no status. He will protect food items but anything else is given up right away.

That said Vito has been exceptionally mean to Boone lately. I assume because of Luna. He definitely should be feeling more insecure these days. So she could be part of the issue.

The Thyroid test is a good idea. I will call my vet and make an apt.

Thanks guys!

Blazingstar said...

Oh poor Boone. Sounds like something isn't quite right with him. I hope you can get it figured out soon. Sorry, I don't have anything to suggest, but I'll keep thinking about it. A new pack member can certainly throw things out of balance for a while.

Visichy said...

Unfortunately I have no suggestions... just lots of respect for your patience in dealing with his quirks. I lose patience with Claire when she takes a step back in her progress and I know that's the worst reaction to have.

Continued good luck with Boone! I hope the cause of his recent episodes can be found and remedied.

The Beasts- Royal, Brock & Alki said...

hi there, I dont post often but can really relate here. I have experienced the same feelings with my dogs, often. (and I have major clashing with my family and my "dog with issues".. as if I need more stress.) sounds like you have a good idea of what to work on though, and the good suggestions of having his thyroid checked.

I know when my girl has set backs like this I often get hung up on the why's, when we rarely can ever truly know why these changes happen. but we can take the information our dogs give us about what things upset them and re-work our plans and move forward to help them. sometimes it helps me to ignore my history with her and basically look at it like I just met her and am starting out training a dog from the beginning. taking it slow again, re-testing all her limits, not asking for too much too fast, etc. basically rewriting her whole training plan so to speak without any of the assumptions I rely on from our years of past training.

at any rate, good luck and stay positive!

Judy said...

Maybe he just has spring fever...big time...and the huge winds we have had lately are creating a lot of noises that we don't hear when its calm out. Things must sound and smell really LOUD to a dog. It would be nice if you could get him out to some quieter outdoor spots, like the bottom meadows of the coulees. Poor Boone probably was so stressed he didn't recognise your dad. Your dad will come around. He is a nice guy who loves dogs.