Sunday, August 12, 2012

Where the Wild Thing Are...

I was looking for something fun to do today so my dad and I decided to head to Waterton. Even though I've lived in this area almost all my life I've never been there. I grew up in the mountains so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal. I was right- the scenery (while beautiful) is very much like what I grew up looking at. It was nice to get away to the mountains for the day though! And we saw a lot of wildlife!

Vito was the lucky dog who got to tag along. He was the best hiking partner ever. Not a peep out of him all day- ignored people, dogs, deer, bears... He sat with us during lunch on an outdoor patio, and people didn't even notice he was there. I was so proud of his good behavior!





The scenery is really beautiful- lots to look at in the town, and on the hiking trails. We went to Red Rock Canyon, and then hiked to Blackiston Falls. 



On the way there we had seen this cutout of a bear- complete with warnings etc about approaching the real thing etc. I found it interesting that common sense didn't dictate that! lol

I suggested my dad pose with the bear and this is the best photo of the day..
.
Vito was scared of it. It totally creeped him out and he wouldn't even look at it.


We did see some real wildlife. Of course the only deer we saw were in town- eating someones flowers. They are very tame and are not afraid of people or dogs. I didn't even bother to take a photo. I did take a photo of this sign though because it made me laugh. lol


Here are some real wildlife photos! I was really wishing I had a better lens- maybe I should start saving up my pennies for one...

quail? or?? It was right off the path. Just hunkered down eating grass.
chipmunk. it was cute and followed us a little ways.
Squirrell??!!!! Vito wanted it bad. lol


At the end of our trail we saw this...
it was dried out with not much for bugs left in it- but this is evidence of a bear. Digging in the deadfall for bugs. We used to see this all the time when I was growing up. Bears are really common in the area... so common that we (and about 15 other people) got some "close up" bear action.

Driving to Red Rock we saw a bunch of people stopped on the side of the road we slowed down and spotted what was causing the commotion...A momma and her three cubs were treed! I was surprised to see three cubs- I didn't realise they could have that many let alone raise them!  The momma bear was pretty low down in the tree so I stayed farther away than most other people. Some were brave (I mean stupid) enough to get really close. 

a baby bear. He was pretty scared.

Momma Bear

Momma Bear started moving around...

and then came down the tree! So we ran back to the car.
All in all a pretty awesome day- it was a nice get-away. My dad is great company, and Vito was a perfect gentleman. More photos tomorrow- from the "driftwood beach."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I have never seen a bear outside of the zoo before! So cool!

Maybe the bird is a grouse?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bonasa-umbellus-001edit1.jpg

onecollie said...

I can't believe we totally missed each other !

Nicki said...

Fun day!