Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Robbie



Robbie died Christmas morning. Robbie was my little orange tabby cat. He was just over a year old. My cats are indoor/outdoor cats, and I accept full responsibility for Robbie's death. I know the dangers to an outdoor cat, in the end it was a car that did it.

My little adventurer cat was crossing a road early in the morning on the 25th. He'd only been outside for about an hour. I was just on my way to my parents when my neighbor drove up to tell me. He was just a block away.

I'll spare you the gruesome details. I will remember them for a long time. I carried him home and told him that I loved him.

It makes me very sad. I also feel a lot of guilt- it was my decision to let them outside, even knowing the risks. It makes me feel irresponsible.

I am not a true cat person, but I love my cats. The comfort and companionship, the purring in your ear, the gentle kneading, the head butts. They are part of my family. Robbie will be greatly missed.

Rest in Peace Little Dude.

18 comments:

onecollie said...

:( you were a good momma, & Robbie had a wonderful life & was very loved.

Anonymous said...

I understand your feelings of guilt, but I believe that they are happier being able to explore outdoors...it's in their nature. It is impossible for us to protect them from everything while still letting them be what they were created to be. Let go of the guilt, it's not yours to carry.

WigglyZack said...

So sorry for your loss. RIP Robbie.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss but take comfort in the fact that you let little Robbie have a free and open life instead of being cooped away. Know that you always did the best for him.

take care

Anonymous said...

I am a small animal vet...I also let my cats outside. They are so much happier, despite the risks. Please don't feel guilty! He was loved and lived a happy life and that is way more than most animals can ask for.

Diana said...

Oh, Im so sorry. That just sucks.

Nicki said...

Same thing happened to one of my barn cats, she was just a kitten. I felt the same way and it was hard to get over. I knew it could happen but I had gotten so attached...

It's part of the reason we limit ourselves to the two barn cats we have now. They have been around awhile and seem very savvy. Maybe when they are gone I will be brave enough to try again.

Jules said...

I am so sorry. I hope you are able to let go of the guilt and know he enjoyed his life.

Taryn said...

Oh, how sad. I am so sorry. But I agree with the other posters. Cats' lives are so much happier when they can enjoy the great outdoors. When I used to have cats, mine were indoor/outdoor cats as well, and I accepted the risk.

Koping Weims said...

OH Amanda so sorry to hear about Robbie....hugs



Julia

Ang said...

Oh that's terrible, very sorry to hear of your loss.

Holly said...

I am so sorry.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Doggone it! It's always to lose a member of the fam...poor little bugger. Don't feel guilty please, Robbie lived with freedom, so important for kitties.

Crazy Cardiness said...

So sorry for your loss of Robbie! I'm not a cat person either but have several, they sure are happy to be able to roam freely.

Mary Lou said...

Oh Amanda.... Please accept my most HEARTFELT condolences for the loss of Robbie.... And to occur on CHRISTMAS DAY!! I am SO SORRY. ^..^
It is MY experience that felines ARE happier when allowed some FREEDOM.... They're LESS RESTLESS. Our Taffy was. My Katrina is.
Take care!! :-}

Jenny Glen said...

So sorry. It's very sad.

Kim said...

I'm so sorry to hear the sad news about Robbie :(

Anonymous said...

Just read this tonight. I am sorry Amanda for your loss. I could take what have you written and applied it to myself when it comes down to what happened with Jackson on Dec 28. I think the hardest thing is the letting go the what if's, etc. My thoughts are with you. Debbie H.