Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Scenthurdle

Our scent hurdle team raced at the Lethbridge show and we did fantastic! I am so, so proud of everyone. We had NO crossovers, NO issues with other dogs, and only a few bobbles. We even won a race. :)

I love how on our team there is never upset, or annoyance, or yelling at each others dogs. I guess I mean, we all get along and treat each other with respect. I think that's important on a team. I think we are just going to get better and better. I'm glad that we've finally got a groove. Next year we will get to do it all over again when we start our second team!

Pixel did a great job and never brought back the wrong one, she dropped her dumbbell once but picked it right back up. She ran every race and never quit. She is a great scent dog- accurate, never watches the other dogs, and is reliable. She often runs first.

It was a  nice small race, only six teams entered which was nice. We started early, and were finished by 7pm. Which is awesome.

I have put Brit on the team for next year- and have just started training. Already she is fetching the dumbbell to hand, and I've started hiding it in the house to get her to use her nose...scenting will be her weakness I am sure. She is a snatch and grab kind of dog. ;) But it will be fun to train her!

I put together a little video of a few races- we had four dogs that were alternating spots so I wanted to be sure everyone was included.

Enjoy!

 

2 comments:

K-Koira said...

Do you guys have a training book you are using to teach scenthurdle? I'm sure you know I do flyball with my dogs, so what I really would like to learn is how to train my dogs for the scent box part of it, since that is obviously the big difference between scenthurdle and flyball.

Jules said...

What a cool sport!