Tuesday, November 02, 2010

First Barn Night of the Season

Tonite was our first training night in the barn since last winter. It went great! All of our students dogs had no problems with the dirt and the horse poop. :) People were ready for their turns and it moved along at a good pace.

My own dogs did well- I took Pixel and Wicca tonite (the boys will come Thursday) Wicca was super- we did some back to basics on threadles and serps. We were very successful and it was nice to have a dog that listened! Pixel was also a good girl- her weaves were amazing- which is funny because at the trial she couldn't seem to remember how...Handling wise she is such a good girl- although I need to go back and work on the basic positional cues exercise as we struggled with an arm change drill. And we did no contacts- just did some happiest place on the aframe.

I am really struggling as to what to do. It seems like I have two choices- a running or a 2on2off, and I don't particularily like either. I won't do a 2on2off on the frame for sure. But without having a frame to practice a running every day I think the progress is going to be too limited. Ugh.

2 comments:

Taryn said...

Will Pixel really fly-off of an Aframe? Even wild Jimmy has never leapt off above the contact (and I probably just cursed myself by putting that in writing!) Now, the dogwalk, yes, that definitely has potential for problems....

I, too, only have access to contacts once a week, so very limited practice, as it is a group class environment.

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck said...

It is really hard to train running contacts without access to equipment on a regular basis. Some dogs take to it pretty naturally, but if you have a jumper (like my corgi) then you need to be on it enough for muscle memory. Silvia Trkman's method can be done with just a board, but I still feel my toller and I are further behind then I want to be with turns simply because we can't get a real DW on a daily basis.

I know some corgi people around here teach a 2o2o and then switch to a quick release but I still worry about that. I am much happier with the 4 on the floor for my corgi and it was taught fairly quickly.