Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Obedience

I go through these phases once in a while that I love obedience. I am at the peak of one right now. I've been training nearly every day, working each dog just a little bit. I love it. There is nothing like the feel of a good heeling dog next to you. I am striving for that with Brit and almost have it. Saturday morning the dogs and I went to a friends for a bit of training. New place, new distractions (cows! and a naughty cat).

Brit worked mostly stationary attention. We are trying to get rid of this. It is cute, but not quite what I want. She has beautiful attention though, and we are slowly adding movement. She still wants to drop her head- at home I can get about 10 steps, but at Liz's I only got four...



Pixel has been doing bits of training every day. I really want her to be ready to enter in November. She is close, but not there yet. The improvement is promising though so I haven't given up yet. We just need to put things together more, and do some polishing.


And Wicca. The dog who loves to work. She is incredible you know. Comes out ready and raring to go. It's a shame about those damn stays. In any case we just played around- I've been working some utility things at home again just for fun. Her go outs are getting really good. This photo was the start of a retrieve. I love it because you can feel the enthusiasm.


2 comments:

Tucker The Crestie said...

All three dogs look to really be enjoying their work! So nice to see!

Lani said...

I agree that there is something special about a dog happily, attentively, heeling along next to you. I LOVE it!

Your post also reminds me that I need to kick my obedience work back in gear....