Sunday, October 02, 2011

Cats and Bulldogs


Last week two cats in my neighborhood went missing, and then showed up dead. No physical trauma (i.e dog, coyote, car), just dead. It is thought that they were poisoned. My two cats thankfully are fine, and are on restricted outdoor adventures. Usually they are allowed to come and go as they please, but I've only been letting them out in the day when I am around to keep an eye on them. And I may stop outside completely soon. I hesitate to do that only because I think the cats will drive me nutty if I take their freedom away completely. Right now we have a compromise.



Also, I have Stevie back. This time as a foster, and not just for dogsitting. It makes me so sad for him. For those that don't know, Stevie is a french bulldog. I've been dog sitting him off and on since he was a puppy. I found out his original owners sold him in July and his new owners just happened to contact me regarding training shortly after that. Since then I've worked with his new family but it became very apparent that they were not equipped to deal with him either. They tried very hard, but it just wasn't safe for Stevie, or for their dog.

 Stevie is a bully. He really is a big, mighty bulldog in a tiny little package. He acts like he's king of the world and gets mad if he doesn't get his own way. He is a resource guarder and needs to be an only dog. He is a good player (he does go to dog daycare), but it can quickly go south, and he is always "on edge" around other dogs. I don't think Stevie has ever learned to relax. In any case he is a foster now- and we will be working on manners, and sharing skills, and on decreasing his bossiness a tad. At my house he will have to settle for Court Jester rather than King...

3 comments:

Taryn said...

Hard to believe a smush-faced dog could pose a menace, but since I mainly know pugs, maybe the Frenchies can be brats! He's a cutie, that's for sure!

Leslie said...

Sorry to hear about the cats in your neighborhood. There's so much mean-ness in the world, I think yours are safer if you can keep tabs on them. My sister has built an amazing outdoor cat pen that attaches to the house via a pet door so the cats can come and go as they please. Maybe (in your spare time ;) something like that could work for you?

And thanks for taking in Stevie. Poor little guy must be pretty confused. I'm guessing all that bravado is masking some serious insecurities. I'm sure he'll feel better after a few days with you and the crew.

Mary Lou said...

Welcome to the "pack", Stevie!! ;)
My heart GOES OUT to this POOR LITTLE GUY!! Hopefully he will get adopted into a LOVING, FOREVER HOME!! Soon!! He certainly DESERVES it!!
Amanda, you are SO WONDERFUL in taking on the challenges of foster dogs!! SOMEBODY has to do it.... Right?