Saturday, October 01, 2011

Fun at Alta-Pete



What a great day!!! Sarah arranged a herding day at Alta-Pete Stock Dogs with Jenny. So Brit, Wicca and I headed out this morning for a lesson. Brit was so keen last time (at Louanne's) that I definitely want to keep it up. Jolene followed us out and had a lesson with Kort too. Well, I had a lesson with Kort. Jo is afraid of the sheep. No jokes. lol. Anyway- Kort was fun. You can hear him bark, I mean see him herd on Jolene's blog...;)

Brit was incredible. She just knows what to do. Already she is finding balance and learning to give them space. She is a nice easy worker- never forceful on the sheep, didn't grip them once and really tried to do the right thing. It was very cool. We graduated to the big pen after the first fifteen minutes (which was scary!) but she did well- and seemed to appreciate the space more. I am so impressed with her! Instinct is an incredible thing. She just gets it. Even with me as a handler. lol

 Jolene played photographer for me, and tried hard too. :) So thanks for the photos Jo!


in the round pen


in the big pen....






Wicca got to go in the round pen for just a few minutes. We are trying to re-lite the spark. It was pretty much a blur as she chased them around in between sniffs...I am going to keep bringing her though- I think lots of short spurts might bring back the oomph.


Overall a very fun morning! I don't love sheepherding, but I certainly find it enjoyable- it's a new challenge, and interesting to learn about. I will say that all the herding I have done with the corgis is nothing compared to the two times Brit has been on sheep. I mean Brit is already way past them- and Wicca has had quite a few lessons in her lifetime. I am excited to go again!

good girl brit!

1 comment:

onecollie said...

oh I am so happy some of the pictures turned out :)
why don't they look as good when you take them ???