Saturday, March 26, 2011

Stalker


Stalker 12/52, originally uploaded by manymuddypaws.

Brit has a nickname already. Stalker. She is pretty creepy about it too. She likes to stare at things. Like all the time. The dogs, the cats, me. Seriously- I can feel her staring at me as I type this. lol

I have been managing her motion sensitive stuff pretty well though and already I am seeing a difference in her behavior.

Here is what we are doing.

For the dogs- she is not allowed out in the yard with them until they are settled. (they run out all excitedly and that makes her obsessive).

For the cats- she is learning what leave it means. I use a spray bottle. Also the cats have been spending lots of time outside because of the nice weather so that is helpful too. She will call away from them though- with just her name, but the draw is still there.

She and Wicca are really good friends- it is very strange. They play quite a bit. Brit is already very attached to me and is always at my feet or on my lap. She has wicked recalls, and is just a very fun dog to have around. I am having a blast training with her.

She is learning things at an amazing rate. I am trying really hard to be as clear as I can for her as I know that once is a habit with a border collie. I've started a training log for her, and every day we work on stuff. We've started circle work- and she is starting to understand to run beside me, and not bounce off of me....

For my own use here is a list of things she knows, and things she is learning

Solid (nearly 100%)
Sit- she sits for her food, to have her halti/leash on, to come out of the crate, and will sit during play
Down- she has a very fast down (it was the very first thing I taught her), and it is her default behavior.
Touch- nose touch my hand, any position, and working on repetition now
Stay- in both sit/down position. We are proofing this now with motion and toys...
Okay!- release word
Tug- i had to work at this one! she had zero interest in tugging/toys when I got her
Come- she has a wicked recall and is very fast. she has no brakes though...it hurts.
Her Name- instant check in, eye contact

Learning Stage
Leave It
Stand
Shaping to run around a pylon/jump standard
Get In (heel position)
Off! (she has horrible manners. lol)
Impulse Control Games- no mugging, crate games, etc.

She has loads of things to learn still but I think we've made decent progress in just two weeks.

2 comments:

K-Koira said...

Sounds like some great progress in just a few short weeks. I look forward to seeing what all you will end up with with this dog.

Paws on the Run said...

Sounds like you have made amazing progress in 2 weeks!!!