Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Brit

naming her was SO hard!
I am sure in part because she already had a name, and after you've called a dog by a name it's a little hard to think about a different name. She came with the name Amy. Which is just not my cup of tea. But there are so. many. name. out there. Seriously. Millions of name sites and search engines. I even resorted to looking through breeder websites to see if there was anything that caught my eye. In the end I went back to one of the first places I looked and found it...

 I like Border Collies to have Border Collie names- usually one syllable, and easy to say. I chose Brit in the end because it sounded pretty, and it means freckled or spotted. And she has freckles and spots, so it fits.  Also it is not a common name, I don't think I've met a dog with this name before.

We will spend a few days learning the new name together and then we should be set. It is hard to do much training when the dog doesn't have a name. :)

11 comments:

Nicki said...

She is gorgeous! I'm in love with her!

Tucker The Crestie said...

Brit is beautiful! We're so happy to have discovered your blog. Can't wait to follow your journey with Brit and the rest of the gang.

Sarah said...

Deb Rhodes border collie is named Britt FYI

Karen said...

Gabrielle Hutton (also an AAC judge) has a Brit also!
Not that I don't like the name, but you tend to associate the name with the personality of the dog you know.
Last night at our club there was a class with Brit, plus our Luna, plus another b/w border collie, also female, and a male standard poodle.
All three BC's are very reactive to each other, so I called the class 'Three Bitches and a Boy'
There was a whole lot of snarking going on.
I do like the look of your Brit though. She's lovely.

onecollie said...

Love the new look of the blog Amanda, I like the name Brit, even if other dogs have it, I think it is one of the few names that actually suit her !

Judy said...

I like the name Brit and it suits her. I know an FC by that name who was imported here from the UK but she doesn't do any of the activities that you do

manymuddypaws said...

names are tough- and although I debated changing it I don't think I will. I like the name, and there are lots of dogs out there with the same names. I just went and looked on the AAC site and there are more than just the two "Brits" that have been mentioned already...but oh well. I think the name suits her and I like it. So that's all. :)

Dogert said...

Aww a pack newbie! Too cute!

BCxFour said...

Brit is a excellent name! Good choice.

Taryn said...

Great name for a great looking BC!

Jenny Glen said...

Thumbs up from me! My first Guide Dog pup (a GSD) was named Britt and both Bob and Lad's grandmother is named Britt. Don't know why I didn't think of that name!