Monday, May 26, 2008

Rainy Weekend

Saturday Sarah and I taught a mini-seminar for SAWHDA- because of the rain we had to move indoors and change our plan quite a bit. We had fun though and taught them all the things they can do at home with one or two jumps, worked on adding distance, and some basic handling. It was a pretty fast three hours! We stuck around to watch a bit of the freestyle and I must say that I am quite interested in trying it. I used to laugh and not really care much about it. But- Boone LOVES it, and it might be a good way to boost his confidence...I however can't dance, and have no desire to learn...but from what I saw and have seen it is mostly tricks and things, the handler doesn't have to have rhythm! Now if I only I could find the time....

Sunday we headed back out to Cowley for some Rally fun. There were cash prizes and an actual CKC Judge. It was lots of fun. Lawrence Klassen was the judge and he was great! Very friendly, and a great sense of humour!

The first course was Novice- Wicca did amazing and received a 99- it would have been a perfect 100, except I let her go around a sign at the very end...Stupid, I know. Regardless we came in second...to Jane. Jane was 2 seconds faster with the same score!!! Boone got an 84, he was very unsure about the down,walk around dog exercise- something to work on at home I guess!!! I was very proud of him though- he was happy, excited, and not at all phased by the new venue. Vito got a 76, but really should have NQ'd...he sniffed, alot. But we had fun anyways!

The second course was an Advanced one- and there were signs I hadn't even seen yet! Wicca again kicked some but with a 98? and came in second....to Jane. :o)

The third and final event was a mix and match- everyone put their armband into the bucket and picked a new dog! Wicca was picked by Shirley, an older woman who owns a little Shih Tzu. Wicca did great working for someone else. As long as the food kept coming Wicca said no problem!

I got Shirley's little Shih Tzu- Krissy, and after the initial get to know me she was pretty good. She is not people friendly so I could touch her but she followed me around for the cookie- we came in second with a 94. I got to run another dog too because there was one extra- Maggie, a little Australian Terrier. I had met this dog at other local events and adore her- she is super spunky, friendly, and has the most amazing expression.
I did some research on "Aussies" and they are pretty rare in Canada- there isn't even a Canadian Club! Anyway, I am quite intrigued by this breed and will be on the lookout for them...If you click the picture, I did manage to find one Canadian Breeder...

No comments: