Saturday, August 22, 2009

Vito's Big Day

A few weeks ago I brought Vito out to agility and he had fun. He ran, he jumped, he tugged, and he barked for his turn. Since then I've been puttering in the yard with him and he is still having fun. We aren't doing anything serious- just the mechanics of front and rear crosses (it's been since Winter that I did any agility with him!) and some basic jump patterns.

I brought him out to the fun day yesterday and ran him twice- he did great! He wasn't super speedy, but he didn't stop, or want to leave. He did run over to wendy twice though. :o) But he enjoyed himself and did a whole little course (minus the weaves).

Vito is a dog who can't be pushed- he is not a forgiving dog, and we've spent the past year or so repairing our relationship after I tried to make an agility dog out of him. Trust is something that is very important with all dogs- but especially so with a dog like V. I have his trust now, and we are building his confidence- slowly.

Not all dogs are cut out for agility. And I respect, and understand that. I used to think that it was my fault. What kind of trainer am I if I can't make my own dog play and love agility? Well, let me tell you that it is much harder than one could imagine. Vito is a dog who doesn't like to exert himself. He is sensitive. He has people issues. He is moody, and quite often cranky. My goals with him had to change for us to get along. :o) I am in no rush to play agility with V- I have three other dogs to keep me entertained. If Vito wants to stay home on the couch he can do that!

It will be a long time, or maybe never that I actually train him like I train the other dogs. And I am okay with that. But if he continues on the path he is now it is very possible that Vito will be training, playing, and competing along with the other dogs...

I have entered him in a Jumpers run and Gamblers run at a trial in September. He is making the trip anyway, and if I can continue to putter with him at home he'll have all the skills he will need for both classes....










Thanks Wendy for the great pics!

10 comments:

Sarah said...

i still think its funny that you think you think he is slow, he is as fast as boone! just not as fast as Wicca ... but really, not many are :)

V is just different and really bouncy

... and the work you have been putting into him is obviously paying off YAY!

Dawn said...

He looks great in the pictures, happy and willing! And maybe he will never be a superstar, but if he can have fun doing some, why not. Good job Vito, and you too!

Debbie said...

Hey, Vito,

My mom just had me out doing agility after having 5 months off and we had a blast. I had a vacation because she said I wasn't having fun and leaping contacts wasn't the way to go faster. :) Having fun and keeping the mom guessing is my goal!

Take care,
Your lookalike in WV, USA,

Ripley

Kim said...

Vito really seemed as if he was enjoying himself yesterday. Hopefully you can bring out his inner agility self and he will soon be happily playing agility next to the rest of your gang. If not, he makes a darned cute couch potato.

Jules said...

He looks super happy (and cute) in the photos.

Joanna said...

I swear, you have the CUTEST DOGS IN THE WORLD. I spend all my time going "Eeeeeee!" whenever I look at your pictures.

I puffy-heart Vito and I hope he continues to have a ton of fun with you in the coming months. He looks great!

Muttsandaklutz said...

Aw, that's great! Vito looks pretty darned happy in those photos. I relate to a lot of what you wrote with my scenthound Lucy. Gave her a long break from trials and just now getting back into it gradually, no rush. It's so nice to have no big title ambitions or anything like that with her, just getting out there and having fun once in a while. Also really nice to have a reliable dog to play more seriously with at the same time.

Bobbi said...

Yay Vito, I love the last picture of him with all four feet off the ground!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

He looks so happy doing it!
Your training efforts sure look as if they're paying off. He's sure a handsome lad.

Sophia Marie said...

I would love to put Izzy in aglity. She'd love it. Maybe sometime I will...
From the pics it looks like Vito is great at aglity and enjoys it. :)

Sophia & Izzy