Saturday, August 29, 2009

People Don't Listen

I am annoyed. People don't listen. Why? They are paying me for my opinion and advice, and still they do not listen. I don't get it.

There is a puppy in one of my classes. Very cute, brilliant little thing. 4 months old. They complain she bites them. A lot. She has seriously bit one of the kids already. Rule #1- don't wrestle with and encourage the puppy to bite you!

Twice last week in class I saw them encouraging her to bite their pant legs, the leash, their sleeve. And the week before was even worse. Pup had a full out temper tantrum and he allowed her to bite him.

Today I see an ad that they are looking for private classes because she is still biting them. If they'd listen in the first place they wouldn't need private lessons. Geesh. I emailed them and referred them to someone I trust. There are a lot of wacko dog trainers in my area, and I'd hate to see that pup wrecked or hurt.

Another example, A Young teenage girl with a young lab. Girl is boring. Dog is very outward focused. Girl barely talks to dog. Dog is doing well depsite this. Girl hardly rewards dog. Dog sniffs ground and lunges at dogs a lot. I have talked to her in private, I have talked to her in front of the class, and have even taken dog and worked it to show her what i want. Still. Nothing. The dog continues to be distracted and bored.

I used to work at a pet store, and people would come in- ask for your advice about what size of collar to buy etc. You spend 20 minutes with them, and they come to the till with a different collar. And then return it three days later when it doesn't fit.

I find that I often repeat myself over, and over, and over again. Reward the Dog. Feed the Dog. Don't let her bite you. Watch him every second and when you can't- crate him. It's not okay that your puppy is 6 months old and not housetrained.

What really bugs me is when I've said something a thousand time and they haven't listened- and then someone else tells them the same thing and all of a sudden they get it and are like. "Wow! No one ever told me that before." Drives me.

I am always amazed at how patient I am with people- when really patience is not my strong point, and well, I am not really a people person! I can usually get through to most people, but obviously I am losing my touch! Maybe I need to be meaner. Like I am with my agility students. They always listen to me, and I think a few of them are afraid of me. (joking of course) :o)

8 comments:

Katrin said...

I know what you mean. I try to think of it, when they have a light bulb moment on something I've been harping on for weeks and someone else says it and they get it, as "well at at least they get it now. And the dog is better off for it." It's hard not to let it irk you, but people are people and everyone learns a little bit different. So I try to think of it as, what is best for the dog, the people never getting it with just me saying it, or them finally understanding because someone else told them in a slightly different manner?

Paws on the Run said...

Why are joking when you think they are afraid of you? I was scared. ;)

Nicki said...

Oh I hate that. When I was teaching obedience classes people never listened. I literally said do it just like this and demonstrated and explained very slowly and then they get up and do it all wrong. Same thing happens in the clinic-why ask questions if you are just going to go home and do the same thing you've always been doing. Usually I end up thinking people are lazy, dumb, and cheap. Hmm-that's kind of pessimistic isn't it!

Visichy said...

The people with the puppy that's biting are amazing! How do they not see the correlation between encouraging the puppy to bite clothing and the puppy biting them? Wow!

You have way more patience than I would.

onecollie said...

well, I'm not scared of you!!, I can so take you...if I can't I'll just pull your hair LOL!!
Seriously though.....I tried to talk to lab girl outside on Thurs. she barley spoke to me, & lab girls friend looked pissed off & bored & wouldn't make eye contact...I think it's their age....or hair colour ! hee hee!

Diana said...

Im not sure why people dont listen. When I go to agility seminars, I see it a lot. Then I start to worry, "Am I doing that?" I try to concentrate a lot to make sure Im doing what they say. It just so weird that people pay someone to help them and then dont listen. Maybe they think they are doing what the instructor says? Im not sure what it is. If we could figure it out , we would be rich. Whats that old saying about people only hear half of what you say. Diana

Maureen said...

just remember the people and dogs that you do help, Esmae could have been a fear biter w/ out your help and encouragement, and for that I thank you.

Natalie said...

Yep, been there, done that. My neighbors have a Beagle that started developing allergies at about a year old... Before then, she had a ton of energy, loved to run around, etc. Her allergies got really bad and she lost all energy and motivation, rubbed her fur off all around her ears, eyes, and legs from scratching so badly. The vet had her try some prescription foods, antibiotics, etc. About 6 months - a year ago, I told her to maybe try switching to a better diet, since a lot of allergies are from crappy dog food. Well, talked to her a week ago, and sure enough, she just switched the dog to a grainless, high quality food and her allergies are disappearing and she's gaining energy. She looked online and found the answer...when I told her about the diet thing like a year ago. Sigh. At least the dog is doing better.