Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Training News



Sunday we went out and trained a bit in the morning- before it got too hot. (I am amazed at the weather lately...)
We did some jump exercises- Wicca has been pretty decent about bars lately- Wendy snapped this picture of her- she really is a horrible jumper...


Since Nationals Wicca has been pushy- with her contacts, and her start line. This weekend is going to be a rude awakening for her as we will be leaving if she breaks either position. Little Idiot. :o) She did well at training though- and only briefly changed positions once on a start line, and slid off an a-frame. Her weaves though have been great- she is only missing maybe one out of five entries- which is awesome as that was such a huge issue before- three poles people! that's how you fix that ....



We worked on threadles- because I suck. Sarah gave me all the Nat's videos last week and I watched them all- no matter how painful they were. I posted the good ones....but I am not sure if I'll ever post the jumpers rounds. Really, what was I thinking? Probably that I knew I didn't have a hope in hell. You see- for a threadle you have to be ahead of your dog- this I know. There was no hope of that for me the way the course was set. My friend Linda handled it on the other side- kind of like a serpentine with a rear cross. I should have done that. Anyway- so I worked on threadles- and I am happy to report we did it- a few times. I am still no confident that I could do it on course- but I am going to make a point of practicing the stupid thing every day.



I also reviewed serpentines- which we are generally pretty good at- and push thru's which when not combined with a threadle I can do just fine. Imagine that!



Boone was a little weirded out for some reason so I did small bits with him- we worked on discrimination (contact/tunnel) and he did decent. He really loves tunnels and he isn't responsive to my body sometimes so we had to work through that.



I also did some front and rear crosses with him. I was really pleased with him last weekend at Kimberley that he picked up a few rear crosses as those are weak for him.



We worked on improving our teeter- he can be a little nervous sometimes- so we have been playing teeter games and it has really helped. He likes the surfing- a lot. Now I just have to make sure he doesn't fly off!



Vito got to come out and play. We did a few front and rear crosses- and a dogwalk. I know- boring. Vito was excited though- and I think slowly he is getting more amped about agility...slowly...but surely.

7 comments:

GeeRome said...

It's great to hear about your practice sessions. I've just begun agility with my youngest guy ... recent Beginner Beginner grad, thank you very much (haha). So some day aspire to understand what it is that you were actually talking about. Of course, turns out that Romeo was born to play agility ... so I'm the one having to do all the studying and practice in order to meet him at his level! What does he think he's trying to prove, making a fat kid run like that! SHEESH!

Keep up the great work! Looking forward to reading more :D

manymuddypaws said...

I am glad you like it!

Diana said...

I find this picture of Wica jumping interesting. Miley jumps the same way sometimes. With her legs hanging down. I just noticed it last night when I video taped some runs. I wonder what it means? Diana

manymuddypaws said...

diana- that picture is of a bad jumper! We have done lots of grids- collection, extension and it has helped- but left to her own choice she jumps inverted- which is what you see in the picture- that is why she knocks bars....

manymuddypaws said...

oh- and you can see in this picture that she is taking off early- which can also cause bars to come down..

Diana said...

I didnt even see the inverted part. I dont see Miley being inverted but I did see her legs hang down like that. She also takes off to soon. I guess I have a lot of grid work to do. Diana

Elf said...

Good job on the weave poles. The 3-pole trick sometimes works wonders. Keep at it--nothing more exciting (to me) than having perfect full-speed weave entries.