Thursday, September 11, 2008

PEN Number

So Boone needs a PEN (Performan Event Number) to perform in any CKC events...he is AKC Registered but his sire was never CKC Registered or Listed so that means that Boone isn't eligible for an "official" CKC #. Which is fine- a PEN will allow him to play rally, obedience, herding, and agility with the CKC which is what I want.

The hard part is getting approved. You have to fill out the paperwork, send in photos, your money of course :o), a vet certificate saying the dog is altered, and that the dog is indeed the breed you say. You also have to have a reason why your dog isn't eligible for a regular CKC registration- and it has to be a good one. A friend wrote on hers that the parents weren't registered and she got this long, drawn out letter back from the saying essentially that the PEN program is not meant to encourage irresponsible breeding and she was denied a number. Anyway- so I have to think up a few clever things. I don't think they'd like to hear that he is isn't registered because the paperwork was never filed. I intent to write that he was a rescue. Which is true...

The other thing I have to think about it s fun name...I could just write Boone. But I thought it would be fun to have something clever....any suggestions?

6 comments:

Nicki said...

My new favorite way of naming dogs is after song titles. Legend is "Living In Fast Forward" by Kenny Chesney. You could choose something from your favorite artist or group! Also I have left an award for you over at my blog!

Anonymous said...

How about Blair Witch Project LMAO!!! or Amanda's Big Boone Theory!!!! ok ok or Boone Runs With Chicken Legs he ehe heee hee!!!

ok I'm done now
Sandy

Katrin said...

Amanda, if he is AKC reg, you can send in a copy of that and get his PEN that way. Or they have some other reg # you can get and he can be 'dual reg' with AKC and CKC, it's a different form. I did that with my AKC reg intact flat coat to show him in CKC conformation and performance events (he has a CKC CD) (I of course don't remember the exact type of number he has though off the top of my head)

GeeRome said...

The rescue story is a good one. Or that you received him from "a friend" that could no longer care for him and his background is unknown. I just got one of my boys his PEN. Had some help from a friend that recently PENed her Great Dane, and she suggested going with the rescue story. Paperwork went through just fine!

Good luck! Apparently if you get "rejected" they send your money back and you can try again with a different story. haha

Deirdre said...

I vote for Big Boone Theory. Great suggestions Sandy!

Sarah said...

LOL Boone runs with Chicken Legs!!!!