Tuesday, April 22, 2008

tricks

I have been working on teaching new tricks to the dogs-

Vito is a very clicker savvy little dog so teaching him things is pretty easy. I started waiting to see what he would offer- of course it was all related to lying down! (down is his default) anyway- so I got a chin rest on the ground, a paw over the eyes, a laying on his side, and a roll over. I am going to work on building those behaviours up to put on cue. The hard part is finding names for the new tricks! I am going to use Sad for the chin on the ground (cause he looks very pitiful) and for the paw over his eyes I am going use shame. Bang for laying on his side, (as in bang you're dead) and roll over for roll over- creative eh?

I am teaching Sam to walk slowly- step by step- literally. He is pretty good and now I am going to do the same thing for backing up- he knows how to back up but it is a rush and he hurls himself backwards like some sort of possesed dog. I want the step by step. We'll see if he can figure it out (and how good my timing is!!!)

Wicca is learning to walk in pace with me- between my feet. I am calling it "Saddle Up" ;o)
She is getting more comfortable about it and is starting to understand what I want. And I am teaching Go On at home even though I have no equipment. She is learning to run straight out and look for the toy- a classic Kaleb move ;o)

Boone is still learning the names for his tricks that he knows. He loves the reverse trick where he spins and backs up between your legs. It is kind of frustrating because he will do this for no reason and on no cue- so we are working on only offering the trick I ask for. Left and Right Spinning, back up, take a bow....cute little things ;o) Boone adores tricks. It makes him very happy. (which makes me happy!)

4 comments:

Xsara and Tani said...

Tricks are so much fun, we are kind of tricks-freaks as well so we can't wait to see how you progress! I will definitely visit your blog again :)

Paws on the Run said...

I love the saddle up command!

onecollie said...

That is amazing how you can teach all your dogs new things!!!
I don't teach Tate anything new at home, maybe I'll start!

Sarah said...

things you do when there is snow on the ground!!! i can't wait to see Vs tricks,

and I will buy you dinner if you can teach Sam to walk like a normal non-possessed dog!!!

LOL at the Kaleb reference :) his trademark you know