Thursday, August 12, 2010

Accidental Training

I often tell my students to be careful and clear about what they are rewarding their dogs for. Last night I realized that I have inadvertently taught pixel that "front" is an action only cue.

I teach front initially by walking backwards and clicking the dog when they are in the right position. And then I add the sit, but often I start off by moving backwards. Last night I simply asked her to front and I got a whole bunch 'o behaviours- but none of them front. :)

It seems that Miss Pixel doesn't actually understand my verbal cue very well, but is instead on relying on my body cues as to what she is supposed to do. After a few repetitions of no movement from me and heavy reward for her moving towards me on the "front" cue she started to clue into what I wanted. It will take a bit of time to get this I am sure.

On an Obedience note I SO enjoyed working my own dogs in a class setting last night. I started a "drop in" obedience hour once a week. I am not instructing, and people can do their own thing, and I get to work my own dogs. It was pretty fun!

No comments: