Tuesday, May 04, 2010

A Hitch in his step...


Boone has always had a hitch in his back leg. Not always noticeable and he doesn't do it all the time but it happened often enough when I got him to talk to the vet about it. He had looste patellas, but nothing major.

A few months ago (Feb) he started refusing the aframe and acting weird at agility. And then Sarah noticed on a rally video that he seemed to be hitching more, and then I started noticing more hitching too.

I am not sure what happened or if the pronounced hitching was a gradual change. Regardless I've been giving him lots of crate rest and restricted exercise for about three weeks now.

This past week I have seen very little hitching and he is able to do the alternate leg lift without falling over. :)

I am going to start rebuilding muscles and increase his exercise gradually and see if the hitching comes back.

There are lots of rear end exercises I can do with him, combined with supplements I think he will be back on track in no time.

He is currently on Arnica twice a day and a higher dose of Recovery. Also he gets Salmon Oil once a day.

I am going to make an apt with the vet just for a check up. If the hitching comes back with increased exercise I will ask for a refferral to western vet (where I take wicca)

But I am hopeful that the rest has allowed whatever it was to heal. I do know that if it is a patella issue that it is unlikely that plain rest will fix it, but I am hoping that it was a strain or pulled muscle. We will see!

1 comment:

katie, Maizey and Magnus said...

hi there! I'm so sorry to hear about boones knee issues. In the last 6 months I had to have both patella's surgically fixed on my CKCS so we can share his, and your, pain. Just wanted to tell you from our experience that even if worst came to worst and he had to have surgery it can be very successful. Even after both done in 6 months Maizey can run like never before. It is a joy to watch her as she is way(!)faster and just seems to run freer as if she is not guarding herself any more. She also jumps on things now, which she never did before. Often she surprises me how strong she is getting.LOL

Sorry so long, but hope this gives you some hope he can recover fully!