Monday, January 19, 2009

arm changes

wicca is just over 2 years old in this photo...


I have had a chance to think about the things we talked about at the seminar. I have a lot to work on. Wicca was a good girl all weekend, and I definitely have improved since even a few months ago but I still struggle with arm changes. Okay, I more than struggle. I suck.



My dog is confused- and it's no wonder- she has no idea what a "serp cue" looks like and doesn't come into me like she should. I did get some good exercises to help us though. I am excited to try it. As you can imagine I also struggled with a threadle cue...I did however manage to do one on the course we ran first thing Saturday. It was sloppy, but we did it.

Her weaves were good, and her contacts still are solid- she does curl a little if I am far behind, but for the most part she is driving into position just how she was taught. It really is the handling that is the issue, well that and jumping.

I have a lot of specific things to work on after the weekend- which is good. I am confident that I actually understand what it is I am supposed to do and teach my dog.

Kim is a very specific trainer- and gets great results that way. I am not that specific, and it shows in my dogs weaknesses. I am going to remedy them though- one issue at a time.

Wicca and I need to work on:

a serp cue

a threadle cue

understanding decel

understanding a no motion cue

trust in relation to bars. I have started to babysit bars again- something I worked really hard at last year to stop doing...again I have been falling back into that habit...


I also put Pixel in the puppy/novice session on Sunday morning. I have gone as far as I was comfortable on my own and needed some input. Pixel was great, and I learned a lot about how to make my crate games more exciting, what to watch for on the plank, what the next step to targeting is. I got a lot out of just a few hours and it was definitely worth the money. I will blog more about Pixels training in a few days...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

you don't suck.

but first you need to get rid of the evil arm - which you are doing. worry about more where you are going and what your body position is telling her!

i'm glad it is all making sense to you, it will start to make sense to wicca soon too and she will have NO questions, she'll just be rockin'. just put as much work into the handling as you have into your contacts, weaves and remember that non-existent start line?? you will do it.

you can teach an old dog new tricks (and my that i mean you are the old dog) LOL!!!!

Kim said...

I am glad to hear that you learned lots. I am also happy to hear that you didn't fall on your face and your head didn't explode!