Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Agility and Training

Yesterday I did some agility training with the dogs. I had a hard time. Really. It was like there was a fog and I couldn't focus or compute. We started out pretty rough. My poor dogs.

I did get better though- once I was able to focus.

Boone did good- he is such a goof and is very happy to be training. Almost a little too happy. He gets very overstimulated and then will start just guessing as to where he should go next instead of actually listening to me. We first tried to get him to read my deccel cue as a cue that there is a change coming up and to not charge into the tunnel. It didn't work so well. I haven't done much of that with him yet and it really shows. I ended up using a lead out pivot to get him in the far tunnel mouth. His weaves are improving- still has some issues if I rush him, or crown him in the poles. I need to give him space for him to concentrate.

Wicca was a good girl. We worked on a few gambles- both of which she rocked even though I didn't think she would do them on the first try :o)
We also did some handling stuff. I suck. Really. My dog is so good. Too bad I can't get my sh*t together most of the time. The odd time we'll have one of those perfect feeling moments, otherwise I end up having to repeat it over, and over again until I finally get it. Geesh. I'm out of practice I guess! Can't wait to get back to the arena, and for the Terry Simons seminar. Last year it was SO good. I am very excited about it.

Jolene and I are going to do some foo foo dog training this afternoon- I am hoping to enter Pixel in February. Hopefully her AKC paperwork gets here in time! Pixel is so cute. Like, really, really cute. She already knows how to "Stand" - we need to work on stacking, and teeth. Oh, and gaiting...We haven't done that before...should be fun!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

hey Terry's seminar must have stuck with you because you missed last year silly!!!

i can't wait to see Pixel in the ring, i met she'll do great!

onecollie said...

Pixel is already a pro....what a good girl!!