Friday, February 29, 2008

Kathy Keats

Today Wicca and I attended our third seminar with Kathy Keats- and it was a GREAT day!

I am pretty tired but here are a few highlights:
Don't "push" when you are with the dog- be either behind or ahead
I really need to work on push throughs
I need to use my shoulders more, and my hands less.

We ran a ton of sequences- lots of challenging stuff. I got a lot of information in just one day. Wicca is actually tired, and I am beat as well.

I will have more information and stuff tomorrow when I can think better!

-----------------------

Okay- my head is clearer now...

One of the biggest things I got out of the day was "Don't "push" when you are with the dog- be either behind or ahead "
This made huge sense to me as I could really see the difference in the video when I was parallel to her and trying to push her out over a jump- when I was a few steps behind or even ahead she really drove forward and took the direction much better. I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner!

Also, I learned that I really need to work on push through's with her. We totally sucked and it all comes back to my dog not wanting to come into me....So- I have some ground work to go back and do for a few weeks! I am going to work on half-front crosses aswell as teaching her to come in on a shoulder pull-

on that note it was also pointed out that I over-use my arms and under-use my shoulders. I depend on an arm cue to push her out, send her around, and just generally depend on it for distance. I rarely use my shoulders for anything which is why we sucked for the push-throughs....

I will put the sequence on the CRCD program and post parts of them so that you can better see what I mean. They were very challenging and it was really neat to be able to look back at the video right after a run. We got lots of great advice that way as we could see what she was talking about.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Don't "push" when you are with the dog- be either behind or ahead

MMP - Will you write more on this? I am curious....looking forward to hearing more about the seminar!