Monday, February 11, 2008

Brain Overload, Denial and Other things


What a weekend! My brain is still in a fog and all sorts of things are rattling around in there. We had a GREAT time at the second Outreach Weekend and I must say that I have LOTS of things to work on.


Overall I think that Wicca and I have improved alot already- even in three weeks Kim said she noticed a difference- which is great, and makes me feel better about my training. We did lots of challenging things this weekend and I am happy to say that Wicca did really great at most of it. Her weaves were amazing- she only missed one or two entries all weekend, only knocked a few bars and just was a really great dog! The thing I struggle with the most is my off arm and flipping away. Kim talked to me about that at the first outreach and I disagreed and was convinced that I would still continue to use it. Well....after a few weeks of thinking about it, and disagreeing just on principal ;o) I decided that yes, of course Kim is right and yes, my dog is confused, and yes it is my fault, and yes, I will change.

So now, no more off arm flipping away. Instead I am going to be more clear with a verbal cue to help in the gamble, and also teach directionals. So Wicca and I are going to be reteaching Left/Right (we taught this a long time ago but never used it) and Out and Away. So- Out means my dog is going to turn away from me- the same thing my flip arm told her. And Away means move laterally away and take the second (or third) farthest peice of equipment. Sounds complicated right? Why, yes, yes it is. But- I think in the long run it will help. Already I am struggling with how I am going to get my dog to do a gamble without that arm. It will be interesting next weekend for sure!


Vito came to the novice session- all that work for teaching him to back up and we didn't even do it. It was the same in high school ya know- the one time you do your homework and the teacher doesn't even want it....

He did great though- we worked on teeter games, did lots of plank work, rule outs, We did some perch/stool games, and he actually got on the ball. I really like the way she teaches a table and although Vito is pretty good on the table (I am sure it's his favorite thing- food and rest!) I can see how her method will improve it.


And now- for what I think is the most exciting news of the weekend. Boone came along. Yes- out in public, new place, loud barn, new people, new dogs and he did GREAT! He was wagging his tail and completely relaxed when he met people, and easily turned on to "work mode" when I asked him. I was thrilled. He stayed in a box stall- yes, a stall- while I worked the other dogs in the seminar and although he was a little stressed about that he didn't fall to pieces. I was very proud of him.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

haha, ya it was a good weekend, Kim sure knows her stuff, and I found this weekend VERY good. I was glad to see our hardwork already paying off.

p.s. i'm glad you are no longer in denial ....

Jules said...

That is awesome that Boone is making such progress. Sounds as though you've got a full brain at the moment!

Kim said...

I am glad your weekend went well. All the homework paid off!!! It sounds like I missed out on some really good stuff. Yay for Wicca and Vito for doing so well in the sessions. And good job with Boone, he is doing se well. I can't wait to hear about everything you learned.