Monday, January 20, 2014

Scenthurdle Fun, Nosework, and the big "C"

This weekend was pretty busy- even by my standards.

on our way to scent hurdle!!!
Saturday our Scenthurdle team raced as two for the very first time. It went much smoother than I had anticipated. I was really worried about how it work with two teams instead of one. And really, I shouldn't have worried at all!

Both teams did a great job. Some kinks to work out- and it's a little tougher now to make sure the teams are balanced- but for the most part everyone was fantastic. The thing I like most about my teams, and even scent hurdle in general is the good sportsmanship, and relaxed atmosphere. We are all friends, and even the other teams are all very friendly and supportive. It's very cool, something you don't see very often in other sports.

My own dogs did so awesome. Brit especially completely blew me away. She was right on, which is unusual for her. lol. She was also super quick- and was excited and pulling at the start to go. I love her enthusiasm. Pixel of course was fantastic. She raced every race. Which is a lot. But we had no other choice. Thankfully the jumps are low, and there was quite a few breaks between our races. Because there were so many races it is very likely that every dog on our team earned their next title. It is hard to keep track of so Jolene does that. lol.

Sunday a friend and I planned a Nosework training day. We are trying to get (and keep) some interest in our area. We had brought an instructor here a few months ago to get us started, so yesterday we just built on that. And gave some newbies the run down. ;)

Wicca was amazing! I haven't trained at all. Like not once. But she is just so smart. She had a lot of fun. And we even did two blind searches (where i didn't know where it was hidden). The first one she rocked- the second was much harder and I need to be sure to keep her on track and checking things in order and not scatter around the room. lol. But she did get it. I have video of that on my iPad. I'll post it later when I get home. I am going to make more of an effort to practice at home because she really did have a great time, and it was nice to train something with her again.

And the big C. Cancer. I hate Cancer. It's not fair. The reason Pixel had to race every race is that our other height dog was diagnosed with Cancer- and went downhill so fast that he was at the vet on IV within a few days of being sick. Thankfully his owner was able to afford, and they had the option for surgery. He had a big chunk of his intestines cut out, and is finally doing a bit better after surgery. He is not out of the woods yet as he didn't do so well right after the surgery. But word is that he is up and eating finally. He will start Chemo in the next few days. Crawford is a very special little dog- and I love him as if he was my own. I fostered him when he came into rescue and am good friends with his owner. He is a little dog with a big personality (typical pembroke!) and was greatly missed at our race on the weekend. So fingers crossed that the surgery and chemo work and he will be back to normal in no time!



1 comment:

blissfulsally said...

Sending lots and lots of good and healing thoughts to Crawford. Be well quickly!