Friday, February 08, 2013

Running and Fitness


6/52 Full Out, originally uploaded by manymuddypaws.

Even though I haven't been doing agility with the dogs it still seems that we are SO BUSY!

Aside from training I also make sure that the dogs are getting good exercise everyday, and conditioning. It's work, but the dogs love it and I can especially see the results in the Border Collies.

The corgis always look ripped- they have big solid butt muscles, tiny little waists (well, Pixel is on a diet). And Boone is too shaggy to visually see. But Brit's muscles have really been developing, and I can see the difference in how she uses her rear. And Leo has definition now from being so fat and flabby before.

Every day we do a leash walk- I alternate the dogs and take two or three each time. The time and place varies depending on how busy I am. We also do an off leash run. Either together as a group, or in two groups depending on if I want to deal with Brits obsessing...

The free run is just that- they run around the coulee at their own pace doing their own thing. While they love it, believe it or not most of their actual fitness comes from home!

Our conditioning games are what has been building muscle, strength and fitness. The peanut ball, fit discs, and tricks are done a variety of ways every day. Recently Sarah loaned me her fit-pods for something new. They are four small pods that the dog stands on- one on each foot. The corgis are not a fan of this. Brit is more accepting. lol.

In any case I am excited for the nice weather to come- so I can get the bike back out. And so the dogs can get swimming again. Those are two things that also make a big impact on their fitness.

Spring can't come fast enough!

2 comments:

Paws on the Run said...

Love this shot of Brit!

Thirteen Sheep (Or More) said...

Oooo. Swimming! We can hardly wait!
I just hope there is water in the river to swim in!