Friday, February 01, 2013

An Alternative to Fetch

 I don't play much fetch with my dogs anymore. The little ones twist and torque and try to turn going 100mph. Or leap up to try and catch it. Seeing as how I am trying to keep them sound fetch is not something we do. But they do love their toys. So we have a compromise. They still get to fetch, but the fun is in the searching!

The first step is that the dog must stay.

 I said Stay....

then I throw the ball. Usually into long grass, and far away. The dog has to look at me before I release them. Now of course they've lost sight of the ball so the search is underway...





 the nose is good, and she will usually always find it. Sometimes it takes a while though...

 Success!


and sometimes she doesn't find it and we have to go looking together. Either way she's getting exercise, and having fun!


2 comments:

onecollie said...

Hurray for Princess Barky Pants!!!

Taryn said...

Great idea!