Thursday, September 03, 2009

Agility Classes

Monday I took Wicca to the agility field to train a bit before class started. I worked on contacts mostly. Trying to build value for the correct head down position. It is so hard to change bad habits. Wicca has great 2 on 2 off, and has only once or twice EVER jumped over a contact. But her position isn't perfect and she tends to curl, and is always lookin' back at me. I've been doing some target work at home, and started transfering that back to the equipment. It's going pretty well. I want her head down low, and would ideally like a nose touch when she first gets into position. Also her teeter 2o2o is pretty non existent unless I yell at her, and am in her space. I need to come up with a training plan and decide what my criteria is...

Tuesday I took Wicca and did some handling. Rear Crosses specifically. She did VERY well when I was handling her correctly. Some days my head just isn't there, and that's how the night started. I really need to work on my timing. But I pulled it together and am pretty happy with her. We also did some weave entry work. She still struggles with an open entry, and needed help a few times- but there is progress as she is actually trying now, and not just missing.

I brought Boone on Tuesday night aswell and worked on Handling, and Weaves. He is a very smooth dog to handle, and did the rear cross exercises better than Wicca! He loves to jump, and was able to stay focused during his turns. We also worked on weaves, and he is doing 12 poles pretty reliably. He popped out at 10 once, but is getting his entries.

Pixel's class was last night. She is doing so well. We are back chaining her contacts right now and I am very impressed with how well she is driving into position. We also did a small bit of sequencing last night and she did great- lots of forward focus. She is so cute that I find myself watching her a lot during class. Will have to work on that. :o) I have been making sure to alternate rewards (food/tug) throughout the class and she will take whatever I present her with. (Yay!)

I am going to bring Vito out to class next Tuesday. I want to get him on the contacts once more before next week. I've been puttering in the yard with some jumps and some handling. Unfortunately for the other dogs all the toys will be going away in the house on Monday. I need to be his only source of fun. I have him entered in two events next weekend- a jumpers, and a gamblers. I think that mentally he should be able to handle it. And he may even enjoy himself!

No comments: