Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Regionals Prep....


Sarah wrote a huge long blog post yesterday about what she needs to do with her guys in preparation of regionals. Until that moment I hadn't really thought about things specific for that. I mean, I have a list a mile long for Wicca just to improve overall- but regionals specific I hadn't really thought of....

Regionals is comprised of Masters Level Standard, Jumpers and Gamblers. There is also a Steeplechase competition on Friday. Last year I qualified by the hair on Wicca's tail. I think we were three or four points over the required 300. This year the points are raised to 350. Which is better than when it was 400....

Anyway- Wicca and I have a whole wack of things to work on already, but when you add in the Regional Specific things my list expands almost by half....

General List
Go On- I need to work more at this.
Close- this is mostly for use on the snooker course...thank freakin' god there is no snooker at regionals!!!
Wrap- not so much a verbal cue, but this is where we will knock a bar.
Weave Entries- easy and fast seem to trip her up. I am going to keep a gate on the first pole for a few weeks.
Distance- Wicca has good distance but we have lost some of it since we have been working on keeping her close and focused on me....I need that back!
Obstacle Discrimination- Wicca generally is very good, but I want to refresh her memory, as well as work on just verbal cues alone so that I could rely on that if I needed to (i.e a gamble)
Perfecting my off arm flip ;o)- follow through, don't be casual
Running with more intensity, be abrupt and use shoulders more- I am a casual kinda girl running an intense dog...we need to meet in the middle...
Front Crosses- work hard on being able to get there....
Start lines, and getting set up- Wicca hasn't broken a start line in a really long time, but she is starting to push and with all the trials coming up I need to get back to being solid on the stay...
Directionals- she can do left and right on the flat and over one jump- but I need to put it into practice. I have a hard time with this as I can't picture myself ever using it on course- but for a gamble...and well, gambles are important so I'm gonna work hard at it...


I am sure there is something I have forgotten....but you get the gist!



Regional Specific-
Masters Standard- we just moved to masters standard so I am still learning how to handle her on even tighter courses...
Maximize Time- you get points for being under time. Wicca is fast so I never worry about time, but to get more points I need to work on keeping lines tight, and pushing for even more speed.
Gamble Scenarios- Wicca is a great gamblers dog, but I need to work on gambles with jumps, and weaves. She is pretty solid on contacts- but we will work these as well.
Serpentines, Threadles, Pull Throughs, Push Throughs.....uh huh...don't those sounds fun?
Jump Work- now that we are outside I intend to go back and do some more jump work. She has been improving alot but I would really hate for her to fall back on old habits.
Course Analysis- I suck.....and worrry about getting lost...there is no table at regionals...it makes me sad. I want my 5 seconds to think...

We have lots of work ahead of us!!!


1 comment:

Sarah said...

LOL!!! you will be glad there is no table, you have 2 seconds on each contact, use your time then!! haha

I think you just need to find a balance with Wicca, work on distance AND keeping her close in the same training session, than even in the SAME sequence.

And work on that DAMN GO ON already!!!!

That is a good point you made, a casual girl running an intense dog, that is a good way of putting it! I think however it will be a 60 - 40 split you have to be 60 and Wicca will be 40, I just can't see her giving in any more than that :)

Well it makes you a better handler in the long run!!

We can work on course analysis, as I have 3 to run (although your 1 is about like my 3), ya I'm a little worried about that too!!!!!!!