Monday, March 24, 2008

Obedience and Such

So I have been making an effort to work with dogs in Obedience every day. I sometimes get a little slack in the obedience part of life. But I really want to enter Wicca in Medicine Hat in May. I have the premium list printed and sitting on my coffee table.

Our weakest exercise is also the most important. It can make or break you. Out of Sight stays are a killer but I think that if maybe I learn to like them more it won't be so horrible.

Every morning Wicca gets put in a stay while I prepare breakfast. Sometimes it is in the bathroom, sometimes in the bedroom. She has always breaks once. Except this morning. She didn't break at all! Yay for Wiccie. I find stays hard to teach because really I should be rewarding her away from me- that's kind of the whole point. Yet, I have to return to her to reward her. If it doesn't make sense to me I am not sure how it makes sense to my dog!!!

Boone has been learning both types of finishes and we have been working on quarter turns so that he is more aware of his rear end. I want him to be an upright heeler and doesn't really want to be that, so we are having to compromise. I don't make him stare at me, but I make him check in with me as we halt, and before we continue.

Vito is learning what it means to come to front. He is quite horrible at it so we have been experimenting with different methods. I now have a safety pin on my pant leg that he targets to. It has helped alot.

And Sam is learning how to pick up his toys and put them in the toy box. It is a slow process!

2 comments:

Kathy and Kim Gibson said...

Congratulations on your obedience work. Russ and I are working toward his CGC this April, but we are in no way ready for trials. Good luck and thanks for visiting CardiCorgiCapers. Kim

Urban Smoothie Read said...

my friend used the ecollar to train for 'out of sight stay' and she said is really effective..

so she recommend to me, coz my dog is a 'stay breaker'.... but the idea of using it cause me shiver....i wonder is there any other better method in dealing this...