Thursday, December 16, 2010

Two Stepping..

Not literally of course. Anyone who knows me knows I don't dance. :)

I was waiting until i had some pictures to share to blog about him- but maybe some border collie person or a person with an overly sensitive dog will have some good advice to share....

Davie (the border collie) is having a hard time adjusting. The smallest little thing will send him into a panic and he takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R to recover. Like a whole day it seems. I am okay with this of course as I expected issues. That is of course part of the reason he is at my house and not at the farm.

Day 1 went pretty well. He had a mini melt down going into my house, but once in he settled and walked around. Sniffed the dogs, and picked up a toy! Crate in the kitchen.

Day 2 he was still pretty perfect, and very obedient. I got a tail wag, we did our first little training session, he learned that his name meant good stuff was coming his way. He and Pixel played! Very curious about the TV, but not startled or scared by it. Met my dad- no grumbling but very suspicious.

Day 3 moved the crate into the dog room. I thought he might like the company of the other dogs during the day. played in the yard (i.e actually ran a bit). Slipped on the floor going outside. Met another female dog (Piper) totally loved her. Lots of flirting...Started to learn Sit, and nose touches. tried to go for a walk- had a melt down five houses away. We went home after I got him to nose touch once at the "scary" spot.  He slept in my bed. yes. in the bed. I was going to let him sleep loose in the kitchen but he found my bed...didn't move at all.

Day 4 seemed more nervous. reluctant to come in the house from the yard. had to go out twice to get him. put a leash on to drag around. worked on sit and nose touches again- he gets sit pretty well now. the heat kicked on and he panicked- i wonder if it has been bugging him all along and I didn't notice? wouldn't come into the living room- took him half an hour of sitting alone in kitchen to build up the courage. took him for a walk in the neighborhood- he did awesome. Took cookies. Grumbled at a person across the street, but ignored two others. Curious about the lawn ornaments, and fire hydrants.
Attached a long line to him in the yard as I felt that me moving towards him was making him more nervous. Wouldn't take a cookie at bed, and chose to sleep by the back door.

So that's it so far. I am wondering if I should just let him "be" a bit longer. Do you think I am pushing too hard (with the walks, and little training sessions). He still seems kid of robotic with his emotions- like flat really. It's strange. I was starting to see little glimmers of Dave and some goofiness, and then yesterday he was completely different again....

I will try to get photos today. I should have time. I think.

6 comments:

Jules said...

I think you should just let him be for a bit. Also perhaps try DAP? It really helped my mother's neurotic dog (zero socialization, shipped to a family with kids, surrendered). I know it doesn't helpp all dogs, but it might be worth a shot if it gives him even a little sense of "okay-ness."

Good luck! Hopefully someone else will have some helpful suggestions.

Debbie said...

I'd use DAP, too, and maybe try a ThunderShirt. The problem with BCs is once they've convinced themselves that something is scary, it'll be scary forever. I'd say crate for now, and hold off on the little training sessions. Give him some time.

nkjvcjs said...

I would strongly recommend the shy-K9s yahoo group. It was so helpful for me with my fearful dog. I would also recommend Fearfuldog's blog at http://fearfuldogs.wordpress.com/
She has a fearful border collie, and is very insightful on helping dogs with fear issues.

Sarah said...

If it makes you feel any better ... Gyp had a meltdown the other night when she walking in to the bathroom and Pete turned on the Jets in the bathtub - do you think we could convince her to go back in there?? She did once Jane went in with no problem and we treated her for being so brave ....

Gyp was similar to that when we got her - even though you had had her for a week and was somewaht used to house living - it was a whole new world with her new family - it took a few days to really get her out of her shell - but I saw glimmers too and new their was potential.

I think he just needs time - it's a huge adjustment for him and a whole new world from what he is used too. I would let him "be" but try to reward him as you have been for behaviours you want as he seems to be willing to please with what you've been doing already.

Sarah said...

oh and i can give you some bach flowers - the mimulus formula (it is for fears of noises and people and helps with the emotional balance) - i would try it with him. i'll bring it with me today.

and sorry for the bad grammar.

manymuddypaws said...

I will go pick up some DAP today. It would be worth a try. and sarah the bach flowers sound like a good idea too.

i've been through worse fear stuff with Boone but it's the weird house stuff that is different. I will just give him more time to just hang out and settle. I am sure he will come around...