Sunday, December 12, 2010

Herding Washouts..

Sarah and I went out to Border Collie land today for a few reasons- for sarah to do some massage work on a few dogs, and for pixel to get a chance on sheep again, and for me to pick up a washout..


The term washout basically means that the dog couldn't, or wouldn't do the job it was required to do and was moved on to a different career or home. In the sport of herding-  dogs are washed out all the time- not enough drive, too soft, too crazy, not enough instinct, not enough "oomph" so to speak, and some just aren't interested.

Pixel was not having any of it- which totally surprised me. I expected her to be straining to get in the pen, and be eager and focused. What I got instead was lots of insecurities- lip licking, smiling, sideways ears, and poop eating. She did trot after them a bit but barely. It has been a long time- like more than a year since she has been on sheep- and in that time she has done lots of obedience and focus on me work. Jenny wondered if it had do with that. I am not sure- but I will try her again a few times. I know that instinct was there once- she just may need more frequent exposure to sheep!

I brought home a dog too. :) Davey is his current name (although that is changing). He is a two year old handsome guy who just isn't cutting it. He is at my house for a while to learn how to be a city dog. He has never lived indoors before, and has lots of learning ahead of him. He will be available to the right home in the future. He is seriously the most handsome Border Collie I've ever seen. Temperament wise he is on the softer side, but has a quiet confidence about him. He walked into my house with no problem, sniffed my dogs, and picked up a toy. Not many dogs enter my house without a fuss like that. I think he will adjust to being a city dog in no time. I don't have any photos of my own yet- but here is one taken at Border Collie land...
Stay tuned for more of Davey's Grand Adventures....

9 comments:

onecollie said...

hi Davey!
welcome to our family !
See you on New Year's Eve for the annual walk !

Jenny Glen said...

Can't wait to hear his new name! Thank of a good one:) I'm glad he is adjusting well. Makes me sad to see him go but so happy he's going to be a house dog. He hasn't seen a toy for a year but I guess they don't forget those things!
I bet the bath didn't go over as well, I don't remember ever giving him one:)
Be good, Davey!
Next time, Pixel - you'll remember.

Jenny Glen said...

Whoops! I meant, "THINK of a good one" (name, that is)

Kim said...

Oh . . . he is very cute . . .

Anita said...

What a good looking dog you are Davey! Can't wait to hear your new name and good luck on learning all there is to know about city dog life!

Diana said...

He is beautiful. I guess he would be with you long .... Diana

Dawn said...

Handsome young dog, I hope he adapts to city life easily.

Loretta Mueller said...

Very cute boy!!! Good luck with him!

Nicki said...

He's super handsome!