Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Running A-Frame- Week 1

Tonite was the first time Pixel did the A-Frame with the wicket.

I started with her just a foot high on the frame and the MM about 10 feet out. She understands to run through the wicket and had no hesitation at this stage. I did three reps of this.

Moved her farther up the frame, and moved the MM farther away. Still lots of acceleration. I was very happy with her speed and drive through the hoop. This is where I should have stopped.

Instead I got greedy and moved her to the top of the frame, and then I did the whole thing...of course I did this over lots of short sessions..but still. I need to not progress so fast. What ended up happening is acceleration through the bottom of the frame and the wicket. Not so much from the top. I even got a head check...

So- next week when I take her again I am going to ONLY get the the stage where she is half way up the frame. Period. No greediness.

She did look pretty darn great though and was very sure of herself, but I need to remember that she is a thinker. I assumed that she would run from the top for the promise of reward. Pixel is not like that, I know that about her. She doesn't lump behaviors together, and she didn't think to run fast down the frame until she got to the part she knew (the wicket.)

The good thing of all this is that I recognized it right away and will now move at an appropriate pace for her.

4 comments:

Diana said...

Lol, that greediness(sp?) gets me everytime. Diana

Loretta Mueller said...

I know with Lynn it has to be 100% before we move onto the next stage...otherwise the "thinker" in her can cause some hiccups :)

Would love to see how she is doing, post some video if you can! :)

Taryn said...

I am guilty of the same thing, pushing through too soon. It's an easy and very human mistake.

Last night Jimmy blew his running dogwalk contact for the first time. He was very amped up and my lateral distance was just too much and he dove off the side. It looks like the hoop will be making a reappearance. Jimmy was definitely not a shing star last night, just way too high.....

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

That is my thing I stuggle with all the time, being patient and follwing the plan, it always seems like it would be so easy to just get one more thing, .....LOL. Yea for thinker dogs, I love her name by the way, that is soooo cute.