Saturday, January 02, 2010

Training Pixel

I haven't posted much lately about agility with Pixel so thought I'd post an update.

Pixel is doing really well and is learning so much. She is very smart and is what I would call a thoughtful dog. She wants to get it right the first time. She is quite a lot different than Wicca that's for sure. I make sure to rev her up before each turn, and that is paying off. I would say her speed has been increasing steadily. I use high value toy rewards much more than food and that too helps to keep her "high." She is a very happy dog even in training- her tail wags all the time and there is always a smile on her face. There is nothing very serious about this dog. :o)

We have been doing small sequences for the last 8 weeks or so. She has learned all the basic patterns (pinwheel, 180, 270, and serpentines) She recognizes them right away and does them with no hesitation and quite a lot of speed. She also has learned about lead outs and is able to do a three jump lead out pivot with no problems. We are working still on all of these of course- increasing distance, and speed.

Pixel is a very nice natural jumper. I have done some grid work with her, although I wish I was able to do it more often. She understands what to do with her body to get over the bar, and jumping has a pretty high value for her. We are still working on "finding a line" and taking what's ahead of you. She will still sometimes go wide around a jump or fly blindly ahead where she thinks the toy might be thrown- but it is a work in progress.

I have spent a lot of time working on handling with her- I really do not want to have to go back and "retrain" something because I skipped it. She is very good at understanding what my motion (or lack of) means. She understands exactly what an arm change means and has no issue working close, or far away. At this point everything is broken down of course, but as I am starting to piece things together she has no problem with it.

Weave poles are coming along really well. She can find an entry from just about anywhere, and is starting to find a rhythm. I found that she had a hard time initially figuring out what to do with her body, but just in the past few weeks I think she's got it sorted it out.

Contacts are my issue. Not hers. She is quite willing to do whatever I ask. But the problem is I have been really indecisive about what I want. She has a great nose touch, and drives into position really nicely. We've been doing lots and lots of backchaining. I think in total she has done maybe three full dogwalks, and two full frames. I have decided though that I am not going to ask her to stop on the frame. I think that I will have a little hesitation at first because of the backchaining into 2on2off position, but once she understands that the reward comes for moving I think she'll get it quick. I am bit worried to give up that control, but I think in the long run it will prevent a lot of stress for me (and for her body). I am still going to ask for a 2on2off on the dogwalk- there is no way I will EVER beat her across...the angle is a lot less severe, so I am not worried about her body as much. I have a plan now about how I am going to teach the running frame. There is SO much information out there it is quite amazing. I have decided though that I am going to use Silvia's method mostly, and modify it for my own needs. It means lots, and lots, and lots of repetitions on a really low a-frame to start. I'll try and remember to post each session on the blog.

And that's pretty much it. I am excited for how well my training has paid off so far...I remember being SO stressed out about doing everything "just so." I do know that without the help of Kim, Terry, and of course Sarah I'd probably still be playing crate games... :o)

Oh, one of my other "goals" for 2010 is to be more organised on my blog. I am going to start tagging all my posts so I can look back and find trial results, training posts, and photos...

5 comments:

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck said...

Glad to hear Pixel is doing so well! I am also still deciding on what my contact criteria is for my corgi. I think I may have settled on a 2o2o on the dogwalk and a 4 on the floor on the aframe. I did running contacts Silvia's style with my toller and tried for many months with the corgi but just didn't make any progress with him. It was too hard to tell when little corgi legs were jumping or just running bunny style!

Diana said...

Sounds like things are going great. Thanks for the comment on why my dog went off course at the trial. That forward movement, Ill have to work on that. Thanks, Diana

Joanne M said...

Great post Amanda! All of your dogs are so cute!! I really love Pixel - she's so pretty!! I'm glad you liked my post on AAC vs NADAC! In it I said that they're several teams that I always try to stop and watch if I can - you and Sarah are on my list to watch - I think you're both excellent handlers!! I'm planning on getting a new pup to add to the family next year (2011) - it's between another Boykin Spaniel or a Corgi!! If I decide on a Corgi - I would love to talk to you sometime and get your advise on the breed!! I'm in the Training Troop trial next weekend so maybe I'll see you there!! :o)
Jo

manymuddypaws said...

Thanks Joanne!

I would be more than happy to talk to you about Corgis. They certainly are great working dogs. They'd keep your spaniels in line for sure!

Thanks for the compliment re: the handling. I have been working the past three years to become a good handler for my dog, and it is definitely starting to pay off.

I think you do a great job with Trapper- he always looks so happy, and you guys had some great runs at regionals!

Kim said...

Pixel is doing SO well! I love how she tries so hard to do what you are asking and she is always happy to be working with you. She is a great, confident dog and I can't wait to see her in the ring.